PDA

View Full Version : Blueberries

rast
Aug 11th 2009, 05:42 PM
Iddee will shoot me for even asking probably, but, I may have an oppertunity for another protected year round outyard near me (10 miles). How many hives per acres do blueberries need. How about blackberries which is next years exspansion project.

Redcrane
Aug 11th 2009, 08:12 PM
I raise blackberries, which are self polinating. I have never seen a bee on a blackberry blossom.

jdpro5010
Aug 12th 2009, 07:20 AM
I believe that blueberries require at least 2 hives/acre due to the fact that honeybees do not prefer to work them. I to am interested in seeing what others have to say.

rast
Aug 12th 2009, 03:00 PM
Redcrane, they do work these wild blackberries around me. They will leave them in a heartbeat if the citrus opens while they are blooming.
JDpro, I have heard the same thing. Matter of fact there was an article in the local paper this spring about a blueberry grower and she was complaining about honeybees being lazy, won't work when its too cold, when its rainey, start late in the day and how much better the bumblebees were.
I am more interested in the outyard part of it, but, I want to be honest with the guy.

Redcrane
Aug 13th 2009, 05:55 PM
That part about cold, rainey & starting late sounds a lot like me.

jdpro5010
Aug 15th 2009, 08:02 AM
Iddee will shoot me for even asking probably, but, I may have an oppertunity for another protected year round outyard near me (10 miles). How many hives per acres do blueberries need. How about blackberries which is next years exspansion project.

I have noticed Idee hasn't shot you yet! There may be hope yet! :mrgreen:

forester801
Aug 15th 2009, 07:12 PM
We have about 40 acres of blueberries and don't have enough bees. My in-laws have a few hundred acres and have bees delivered by the pallet. I have been told 2 hives per acre and they leave them there for about 1 month when they start blooming.

rast
Aug 15th 2009, 07:51 PM
"I have noticed Idee hasn't shot you yet! There may be hope yet! "
He's just waiting on opening day of hunting season :D .

Iddee
Aug 15th 2009, 08:00 PM
Looking for outyards and getting paid for it is different than renting bees out strictly for pollination.

Sometimes it's not what you do, but why you do it.