PDA

View Full Version : Now where did you get that idea

SlickMick
Aug 12th 2009, 04:06 PM
One of the interesting things that comes from an Aussie being an active participant on US forums is that a heap of those from the US would like to visit good ole OZ but for all the things that bite that we have over here

Now where did you get that idea? :shock:

Yes we do have bities here but so does the good ole US

We have snakes, you have snakes, we have crocodiles, you have alligators, we have dingoes, you have coyotes, we have spiders, you have spiders and so on

But we dont have mountain lions nor do we have bears (except for the misnamed cuddly Koala and "drop bears" which are only the result of an imaginative advertising campaign for a local brew.)

So perhaps Steve Irwin has perpetrated a somewhat untruth; that good ole Oz is over-run by things that bite :roll:

So remember, 20 million Aussies are living proof that it is possible to live here without falling victim to the occasional bitie.

Mick

Charles
Aug 12th 2009, 05:05 PM
I would have to agree, here in Colorado we have the mountain lions, bears, cougars, spiders, snakes and numerous other creepie crawlies running around. Fortunately for us the worst we have to worry about where we're at are the coyotes and rattle snakes...

Welcome to the board SlickMick!

tecumseh
Aug 13th 2009, 06:48 AM
I do hope to visit OZ sometimes in the future but I would suspect most beekeepers are not so alarmed by what does or does not bite.

Texas has about 5 million more folks than OZ. everything here has the capacity to bite or stick you..... yes even the plants can be dangerous. it would be comforting to think that these hazards might discourage folks from visiting here but that does not seem to be the case.

Hobie
Aug 13th 2009, 07:30 AM
It's not the biting, per se. It's the results after the biting. The box jellyfish, the blue-ring octopus, the Taipan snake, the (something) spider that likes to crawl in your shoe.

Not to say there aren't venomous creatures here, just not as many. Maybe they aren't as plentiful in Australia as the media has led me to believe?

That being said, I've always wanted to see a Kookaburra, sitting in an old gum tree.

Iddee
Aug 13th 2009, 08:20 AM
Whether in Oz or the USA, the most dangerous critters don't have 8 legs, 6 legs, or even 4 legs, and they aren't legless, either.
In both places, the real dangerous ones have two legs, and I don't mean birds.

Charles
Aug 13th 2009, 01:07 PM
Whether in Oz or the USA, the most dangerous critters don't have 8 legs, 6 legs, or even 4 legs, and they aren't legless, either. In both places, the real dangerous ones have two legs, and I don't mean birds.

Well said...

Hobie
Aug 14th 2009, 06:50 AM
I hear ya!

The other critters are generally just protecting themselves.