PDA

View Full Version : sugar anyone

G3farms
Aug 17th 2009, 03:44 PM
price of sugar................

http://www.slate.com/id/2225289/?yahoo=y

sounds like if we have a surplus why are we importing??

If we have no physical reserve and only monies set aside for the need makes me wonder when we are going to run out since we all know the money will be gone, glad I got some honey for my sweet tooth!!

G3

BjornBee
Aug 18th 2009, 04:23 AM
If the world ever gets crazy, I can always resort to honey for all sugar, eating larvae for protein, making alcohol (High barter item) from excess honey, and making candles from the wax. And those cats are paying me back for all the money they have been costing me..... :shock: I'll show them what "tender vittles" really is... :lol:

tecumseh
Aug 18th 2009, 04:39 AM
not that long ago (mid 1980's) the us price of honey was supported via subsidies and import restrictions at about twice the world price of sugar. seems like (casually with no number crunching) that the us price of sugar has remain about the same (price adjusted for inflation) and the world price has slowly risen to the price level of that in the us of a.

seems that at least one variable not considered by the short article is that a great deal of the supply of 'cane' sugar is also in hurricane alley, so supply could be quickly and adversely affected by higher than normal number or severity of hurricanes. beet sugar on the other hand would likely be more affected by irrigation water availability (and cost).

rast
Aug 18th 2009, 05:57 AM
Along a similar line, "Big Sugar" is trying to sell the land down in S. Fl. to the Gov. (us) for $2 Billion that by all global warming, rising sea level studies is supposed to be inundated with salt water in 100 years.