PDA

View Full Version : Nectar Flow

sqkcrk
Aug 20th 2009, 03:05 PM
Here in NY, and much of the Northeast, we have had some horrendous weather the last two months. July had three days w/out rain, over 6 inches and June wasn't much better. Both months were colder than usual. Then August 1st we had one inch of rain.

Since then it has been more like summer is supposed to be, not too rainy and 80s, almost 90s. And we're finally getting some nectar coming in faster than the bees can eat it. I'm not predicting a good crop, but I'm hopeful that there will be enough honey so I don't have to buy any to keep my customers buying from me.

What's happening where you are? What has your summer been like so far? rast, you're feeding, aren't you? Techumseh, what about you? Bumper crop yet? Any sourwood ther Iddee? I imagine that Bjorn is in a similar boat to mine?

rast
Aug 20th 2009, 04:26 PM
Yep, I'm feeding. Dave Miksa (queenbreeder) put the syrup buckets on also the first week of August. But thats the norm where I'm at.

Iddee
Aug 20th 2009, 04:38 PM
Nectar Flow, what's that? Something from the history books???

4 supers from 15 hives. Yippee!!!

tecumseh
Aug 20th 2009, 04:50 PM
we might get some bloom here when it rains.

this summer has to be a record setter in regards to the number of days of 100 degree + days and the fat lady still hasn't sung.

BjornBee
Aug 20th 2009, 07:07 PM
I've got nucs starving. I'm combining or feeding. Not good.

The only upside is much moisture and perhaps a good fall flow which has not started yet.

Glad I sell bees and not honey.... ;)

Hobie
Aug 21st 2009, 07:10 AM
The abandoned hive I moved here in June packed in about 70 lbs of honey in a month, and they get to keep it all. The tiny July swarm is doing their best, and I am feeding them. They are all over the thyme and catnip now. Except yesterday, when it looked like they were all lounging on the veranda with a cold beverage. Hot and humid here this week!