PDA

View Full Version : Drone size

BjornBee
Oct 1st 2009, 08:00 AM
I know drones in worker cells are much smaller than those raised in the proper drone sized cells.

But have there been any studies or research regarding the quality of these smaller drones? Assuming they were fed properly, is there any downsides?

Would a drone laying queen produce quality drones suitable for mating purposes?

Comments?

Thank You.

tecumseh
Oct 2nd 2009, 03:44 AM
interesting question. I don't really recall reading any studies in regards to the viability of drones from drone laying queens.

I would suspect the drones would be viable... although care and maturation of a drone from a drone saturated hive might be a bit iffy. I have always suspect (and acted on the notion) that drones from drone layers are not the best of genetic material to pass on to the next generation. this is (at this point) strickly a hunch thing.

bdrowe
Mar 2nd 2010, 01:53 PM
Mike,

I think smaller worker cell drones have several problems. They may not get a full 26 days to develop, premature births. They may not mature sexually. They may hold less sperm. They may not be able to fly as long or far if their flight muscle development was hindered.

I believe Susan Colbey's method for artificial insemination calls for weighing the drones and rejecting under weight queens. But, I could be wrong, haven't taken that class yet.

Would you have any actual data on how far away drones will mate. It would be interesting to know if their size effects thier mating paterns.

Greenb3tree
Jan 28th 2011, 02:34 PM
An older post, I know, but I am new to this forum. I am also curious - I have noticed that in the biggest, best hives that I do cut outs on, the ones that seem to be thriving for a long time, the drones are big bruisers that just jump out at you.

JC

Bcrazy
May 26th 2011, 05:15 AM
I have just realised the size of my drones as these were reared in a frame of drone foundation. the average size is 1.7cm length, and 0.6cm width. Real biggies in my opinion.