PDA

View Full Version : Boo Hoo Hard Freeze

srvfantexasflood
Oct 10th 2009, 07:29 PM
Calling for a hard freeze here tonight. That's about a month early. I am really disappointed. We picked all the tomatoes off the plants and cut the Swiss Chard. I scrambled after work and dug up my elephant ears and got them in the garage. I covered some flowering pots with blankets, just in case it doesn't get quite that cold. I am not ready for this. I still have purple coneflower seedlings in pots that need to be planted and iris sitting in pots since late spring divisions. :cry:

Charles
Oct 10th 2009, 07:47 PM
We had our first hard freeze last night, got down to 16 and I woke to about 8 inches of snow on the deck. Scrambled hard yesterday to get the sprinklers blown out and heaters in the troughs. Supposed to be back up to 70 in 3 days...

This time of year can sure keep you on your toes :confused:

BjornBee
Oct 11th 2009, 05:03 AM
extreme cold last winter.....record cold summer......ski resorts opening 7 weeks ahead of schedule....early frost all over the place.....huge winter storms tonight out west.......Global warming is really starting to suck! :thumbsup:

Hobie
Oct 11th 2009, 07:09 AM
I think "global warming" is a misnomer. It seems more, to me, like Global Weather Extremes. We don't get rain, we get floods, or drought. No summer breeze, instead a hurricane. Something's up!

No frost here, yet, but it won't be long. Need to save the chard and the carrots.

srvfantexasflood
Oct 11th 2009, 07:57 AM
Well. accuracy may not be something our local weathermen excel in. No hard freeze last night, but it doesn't really matter. It's so cool, all those tomatoes wouldn't have ripened anyway. I sure would have left the Swiss Chard on the stock though.
For a novelty, I grow some cotton every year. No one around here knows what it is and it makes a pretty flower. It's also fun to demonstrate to kids where cotton actually comes from and how wonderful the invention of the cotton gin must have been. It was so cool and wet this year that no cotton balls formed. I have no seed to save for next year.

Iddee
Oct 20th 2009, 06:40 PM
We got our first light frost last night. Forecast to be in the 70's for the next week.

Walt B
Oct 20th 2009, 06:56 PM
A couple of years ago we sent some cotton to a friend in a managed care facility in New York State. The folks there had never seen cotton "in the rough". They were all facinated and it ended up going to an elementary school science class. :thumbsup: A lot of mileage from that batch of cotton.

The temperature got down to 50 over the weekend. It gets below freezing a few times each winter. Quite a change from northern New York! :yahoo:

Walt

Omie
Oct 20th 2009, 07:10 PM
We've had a few lights frosts already, but the lettuce, carrots, scallions, beets, chard, etc all seem to be hanging in there still ok. :thumbsup:
Daytime highs are now 45-60F. Awfully nice Fall weather for walking and bicycling and garden cleanup.
I planted three large anise hyssop plants by the house to tempt the bees next year. ;)

srvfantexasflood
Oct 20th 2009, 08:07 PM
Omie- I would be interested in knowing what type of bees are attracted to your anise hyssop. I have some planted in several parts of the yard. Thus far, no honey bees are attracted to it, just big bumble bees. I even have a patch near my hive.

Omie
Oct 20th 2009, 08:13 PM
Omie- I would be interested in knowing what type of bees are attracted to your anise hyssop. I have some planted in several parts of the yard. Thus far, no honey bees are attracted to it, just big bumble bees. I even have a patch near my hive.

Oh, well that will interest me too! Hadn't thought about it!
We'll have to wait for the answer til next Spring since the plants have stopped blooming now for the year. The leaves sure smell wonderful though, and the plants are really lovely! And I guess even the lowly bumble bees need food too, right? :)

srvfantexasflood
Oct 22nd 2009, 05:26 AM
Omie- That's the way I looked at it. I have noticed, when reading seed catalogs or plant markers, when it says the plant attracts bees it doesn't necessarily mean honey bees. I really had the bumble bees this year. In one area I had planted Mexican Sunflower, big double zinnias, purple coneflowers, borage and anise hyssop not to mention a few other flowers. The big bumblebees really liked it. The honey bees didn't work these flowers that much. Occasionally I would see one of my bees.

Omie
Oct 22nd 2009, 08:05 AM
Wow, honeybees don't go to borage?? I thought they loved it bigtime, and I was planning to plant a lot of borage seed in the Spring!.....anyone else with borage experience?

Iddee
Oct 22nd 2009, 08:15 AM
Before you exclude too many plants, remember that bees will work their preferred flowers first. When there are two or more plants blooming at the same time, one is very likely to be ignored, although it would be worked heavily if the other wasn't available.

borage, anise hyssop, ETC., may be covered with bees one day, and not touched the next, when something better blooms.

srvfantexasflood
Oct 27th 2009, 05:40 AM
Omie- Borage goes to seed and multiplies really fast. It doesn't take much. I have borage everywhere and have to pull it to keep it in control. I have a second crop out there now from it going to seed this summer. And of course, I do let it go to seed so that the bees can work it.

Omie
Oct 27th 2009, 06:56 AM
I used to grow borage in an herb garden 12 years ago. I never paid attention to which kind of bees were on it though. :shock: My how things can change. I do see some borage still blooming on my neighbors property, but now beginning to freeze and shrivel finally.
It's such a pretty plant- the leaves tastes like cucumbers and both tender leaves and flowers are wonderful in iced tea.
One of the few truly BLUE flowers with no purple tinge at all.

Mama Beek
Oct 29th 2009, 12:03 AM
borage sounds wonderful! where do i get seeds from and do they start easily? We planted bee balm, anise hyssop, lemon balm, catnip, peppermint, and yarrow and the bees seem to love all of them and they are easy to keep up with so they are keepers for us.