PDA

View Full Version : Growing peanuts

BjornBee
Oct 29th 2009, 01:34 PM
The idea of growing peanuts was touched upon on another thread.

So has anyone ever grow them?

Anything in particular to buy, do, or watch out for?

I'll assume the peanuts bought at the grocery store ares not going to grow. So where do you buy them?

Is there a planting zone limit? Or is it strictly a southern crop?

Any information would be helpful.

Thank you.

G3farms
Oct 29th 2009, 03:41 PM
Contact your local extension agent or university for your area about the planting dates and varieties.

I buy my seed at a wholesale seed and nursery company here in town and they sell seed peanuts.

G3

srvfantexasflood
Oct 29th 2009, 05:16 PM
This web site is a pretty good start. I know I learned a few things glancing over it. I thought peanuts were strictly a southern crop, but I guess if I can grow cotton in Kansas City, you can grown peanuts in your neck of the woods.
http://www.gardenersnet.com/vegetable/pnut.htm

BjornBee
Nov 6th 2009, 07:30 AM
Thank you for the site.

I going to try some, if not just for something for the kids to learn from and experience.

We eat lots of peanuts in this house. And peanut butter is a staple. :thumbsup:

Charles
Nov 6th 2009, 10:25 PM
mmmmm peanut butter and honey sandwiches. That's a staple around here along with my wife's peanut butter cookies! :clapping:

XLB
Nov 6th 2009, 10:47 PM
mmmmm peanut butter and honey sandwiches. That's a staple around here along with my wife's peanut butter cookies! :clapping:

put some bananas on that and you just about got one supreme snack! :thumbsup:

Charles
Nov 6th 2009, 11:26 PM
Haven't tried bananas on the PB&H sandwiches, going to have to make a trip to the market tomorrow and get some...sounds really good!

XLB
Nov 6th 2009, 11:51 PM
whats also good with bananas is chocolate syrup and peanut butter. :thumbsup: my dad used to make my some of that when i was little.

G3farms
Nov 7th 2009, 07:47 AM
Good grief now I am hungry, that sweet tooth is always kicking in.

PB and Honey was always one of my favorites, will have to try the others also.

G3