PDA

View Full Version : Duragilt

rast
Nov 22nd 2009, 03:19 PM
Anyone using this? Sounds good that I wouldn't have to crosswire for extraction. I've always used hooked wax and crosswired.

Iddee
Nov 22nd 2009, 03:23 PM
If they won't draw it out, you won't have trouble extracting..... It will never see the extractor.

G3farms
Nov 22nd 2009, 05:28 PM
I am a wax man myself, never have used plastic. Never have seen it in a bee tree either ;)

G3

Walt B
Nov 22nd 2009, 06:43 PM
It's what I have. The girls don't seem to have a problem with it, but I have no point of comparison since this is my first year. Started with 2 packages in April, my share of the honey ended up being around 5 gallons. Don't know what it would have been with wax.

Then again, we had no rain most of the summer until September. I think the rain was the reason for the fall harvest.

One thing that I did was to thoroughly spray each side of the plastic foundation with 1:1 syrup before giving it to the girls.

Walt

Iddee
Nov 22nd 2009, 07:24 PM
Walt, the OP isn't talking about plastic foundation. He's talking about Duragilt. It's a thin sheet of plastic with wax foundation on each side. Once the bees chew the wax off the plastic, they will NEVER draw it out.

tecumseh
Nov 23rd 2009, 05:14 AM
rast... I think???? the essesnce of iddee message is... if you place duraguilt in a hive prior to a flow and get it all nicely drawn out it is not a problem. if on the other had you try to place duraguilt in a hive at a time when it is somewhat to highly unlikely to get pulled then quite typically 'the girls' will scavange the wax and what remails is a clean bit of plastic with almost no possibility that it will be pulled into anything that looks like a regular usable frame EVER.

I am pretty much a wood frame, wire and wax fellow myself... I don't really care for plastic frames or plastic based foundation products. I do think (have observed) that both plastic frames and/or plastic based foundation may have some advantage when you factor in the shb and wax worm.... the sheet of plastic thru the center of the comb does seem to retard the progress of both and allow a well populated hive to get ahead of both of these little nasties.

rast
Nov 23rd 2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks, I'll go get me another spool of wire.

sqkcrk
Nov 23rd 2009, 09:43 AM
I do think (have observed) that both plastic frames and/or plastic based foundation may have some advantage when you factor in the shb and wax worm.... the sheet of plastic thru the center of the comb does seem to retard the progress of both and allow a well populated hive to get ahead of both of these little nasties.

It doesn't take as much time to install. I say as I'm sitting in the library at the computer.
Plastic foundation and/or frames can be used again after wax worms have destroyed the comb.
I don't recommend Duragilt. But it is a good product. even w/ the draw backs mentioned before.
I use Mann Lakes' plastic frames coated w/ wax. I used to use Duragilt. I'm getting lazier as time goes by. Or is it the "Work smarter, not harder" idea?

rast, you've gotten lots of good advice on this thread. Made up your mind yet? What are you going to do?

BjornBee
Nov 23rd 2009, 03:59 PM
I am a wax man myself, never have used plastic. Never have seen it in a bee tree either ;)

G3

Now how many bee trees exactly have you looked at..... :lol:

I would imagine 99% of what we do to bees, does not happen in a bee tree, including wax foundation.... :thumbsup:

rast
Nov 23rd 2009, 06:39 PM
Yep, Mark. I have cut out 100 + wood side bars for frames while my wife was setting here playing on facebook. That's since 6 PM. I'll do another 100 tomorrow night. I will put wax foundation in them when done. Someday I'll have enough "bee money" to buy frames.
Well, while in the middle of typing this, I just made a deal to buy about 300-500 frames for $50. Maybe no more cutting for a while :D .

G3farms
Nov 23rd 2009, 07:10 PM

G3

Now how many bee trees exactly have you looked at..... :lol:

I would imagine 99% of what we do to bees, does not happen in a bee tree, including wax foundation.... :thumbsup:

I am glad you said 99%, Mr. Tarwater built a "bee tree" of sorts out of slabs from the saw mill. Let me see if I can explain it. Think of a log about twenty inches tall with the center cut out in a square. He made his frames that would accept shallow foundation but the were turned long ways top to bottom. If I remember it held five or six of these frames and he had made several supers to go on top of it as well. It looked just like a tree since it was all made out of the same four slabs. He did it really just to mess with the local inspector at the time, just wanting hin=m to cry around about it was illegal to keep a bee tree, then he showed him the removable frames.
I have been wanting to make one for a long time after seeing his, that was back in the late 70's.

Just kind of a novelty thing, like all of the other different kinds of hives.

G3

rast
Nov 23rd 2009, 07:12 PM
Oh yeah. Iddee. Keith said that daughter you used to rock on your knee is 29 years old now.

Iddee
Nov 23rd 2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks, Rast. You make me feel sooooo young.

Did you tell Keith I was asking about them?

rast
Nov 24th 2009, 04:55 PM
Of course I did. And he told me what great guy you were.

sqkcrk
Nov 25th 2009, 12:59 PM
Did Kieth know who you were talking about? :) Just kidding, but hoping to stir things up a bit.

Iddee
Nov 25th 2009, 02:47 PM
He just has a bad memory, that's all.

You can't get under my skin, Mark. Too many have tried. This old redneck's hide is just too tough. :P

rast
Nov 25th 2009, 06:06 PM
Sorry sqkcrk, his memory seems pretty good. I was hoping for something else too :D .