PDA

View Full Version : SHB samples

BjornBee
Dec 22nd 2009, 01:31 PM
I'm looking for some samples of SHB larvae, and even the beetles.

If interested in helping out, I can send you some small vial with alcohol for collection. I'll pay for all shipping.

Thank you.

G3farms
Dec 22nd 2009, 08:30 PM
What are you looking for in the samples you collect??

What brand of alkehaul is in the sample bottle, and how big is the sample. may require several collection bottles you know! ;)

G3

Bens-Bees
Dec 23rd 2009, 05:24 AM
Do they need to be caught without oil traps for your purposes? I know I have a few from checking the oil traps, but not so many that I can find them when searching in the hive for them.

BjornBee
Dec 23rd 2009, 06:32 PM
I don't think it matters about the oil.

As for the alcohol, If I use the good stuff and enough of it, I'd probably just end up eating the worms come Saturday night....... :Dancing:

Walt B
Dec 23rd 2009, 06:58 PM
Is that one of those "tequila things"? :drinks:

Walt

Iddee
Dec 23rd 2009, 11:40 PM
First cutout I do in the spring, I'll leave some pollen comb out for a few days and send you a few hundred larva and eggs. I don't have any this time of year, tho.

BjornBee
Dec 24th 2009, 07:25 AM

Walt

So I heard.... :lol:

G3farms
Dec 24th 2009, 09:06 PM

Walt

So I heard.... :lol:

More like "that's what they told me the next day"

BjornBee
Dec 25th 2009, 07:15 AM
As long as "they" is the Miller twins...... :thumbsup:

Bens-Bees
Dec 25th 2009, 11:45 PM
We could send you some live samples in a box with holes to let them out for you if you'd like... that way you'll have as many samples as you want for generations to come...

barry42001
Dec 26th 2009, 10:22 AM
Ohh and while we are shipping you the SHB can we dust them in AFB spores, and Nosema --then you can truely get a idea on how resistant your bees really are :Dancing: :thumbsup:

Bens-Bees
Dec 26th 2009, 09:16 PM
Ohh and while we are shipping you the SHB can we dust them in AFB spores, and Nosema --then you can truely get a idea on how resistant your bees really are :Dancing: :thumbsup:

Maybe even throw in a few cape bees... yup.

Iddee
Dec 26th 2009, 09:20 PM
BJ says that's fine as long as you ship in Jan. Nothing survives in a Pa. Jan.

BjornBee
Dec 26th 2009, 10:10 PM
BJ says that's fine as long as you ship in Jan. Nothing survives in a Pa. Jan.

Sometimes....not even the bees..... :beg:

barry42001
Dec 27th 2009, 07:52 AM
And while we are fulfilling your entire christmas wish, to help keep the SHB from being lonely, perhaps the Japanese would be so kind to donate a few dozen Japanese Giant Hornets Queens --now comes the real resistance test ehhh!!! :thumbsup: ( For delivery/ release in late April. )

Iddee
Dec 27th 2009, 07:57 AM
Yeah, resistance from here, even. PA is too close to NC for that kind of talk. Cut it out!!!

BjornBee
Jan 1st 2010, 07:53 AM
I'm serious on this. If anyone has a few samples, let me know your mailing address and I'll mail off the tubes.

Bens-Bees
Jan 3rd 2010, 02:49 AM
I'll send you some, but it'll be springtime before I can get them.

BjornBee
Jan 4th 2010, 07:36 AM
No problem. I'll send down some small vials with alcohol. I'll touch base as we get closer. Thank you.

sqkcrk
Jan 4th 2010, 10:26 AM
The SHBs that i see are usually too fast to get a hold of. I may have some vials that I could give you Mike. They're glass. Do you want them? I don't need them and they are just taking up room in my office, gathering dust.

tecumseh
Jan 5th 2010, 07:19 AM
I assume you plan to use these for educational purposes bjorn?

one of our member is the central texas beekeeping association has some adult in one vial and larvae in another to show the new beekeepers what to look for.. the larvae are quite useful when you begin trying to describe the difference between the larvae of a wax moth and the larvae of the small hive beetle.

if someone had a few in a bottle (I think the post office ain't too keen on shipping glass vials with alcohol inside???) would your bjornapairies address work?

Bens-Bees
Feb 20th 2010, 03:14 PM
It's finally been thawing here, and the bees have actually been flying the past couple of days... I've even started to notice pollen on the car, from what I have no idea, nothing is blooming, not even my willow, and the bees are headed in a direction I've not seen them head out in. I haven't been able to see if they are bringing back pollen though, but they are definately doing something different than the cleansing flights I've seen before.

and I meant to say, before I got side-tracked, that it won't be long before I can get you that sample... second week of March maybe.

G3farms
Mar 7th 2010, 07:15 PM
Bjorn are you still wanting samples? I have some that I got out of two dead outs.

Bens-Bees
Mar 31st 2010, 07:31 AM
Yeah I'm wondering as well, I'm about to go get into a split in a few minutes and might have a chance to get a live one for ya. If you PM me your address I'll ship it to ya today if I get the chance to get a live one.

Edit: Nevermind about your address, I can get it off your website.

Bens-Bees
Mar 31st 2010, 01:50 PM
Well, I'm afraid I didn't find any, dead or alive.

G3farms
Mar 31st 2010, 07:32 PM
How lucky can a fella get! No beatles in the hive that is great.

G3

tecumseh
Apr 1st 2010, 06:06 AM
I haven't seen many here this year either.

Perhaps like the mes-e-cans they have returned home for lack of employment?

Bens-Bees
Apr 4th 2010, 03:30 AM
They just haven't woken up yet this year... wait 'til the ground warms up.

Bens-Bees
May 6th 2010, 06:48 PM
Hey Bjorn, I checked my AJ beetle traps and found a couple of beetles in there. I will send them to you... I will try and get them in the mail tomorrow, and I'll just put them in an empty film case for you.

Bens-Bees
May 16th 2010, 02:07 AM
If you didn't receive it Saturday, you ought to get it Monday. I sent it on the slow boat to China, but they estimated yesterday as the delivery date.