PDA

View Full Version : Equipment construction

Brooklyn
Dec 24th 2009, 11:13 PM
I am looking for plans for a jig to help construct 8 frame supers

Walt B
Dec 26th 2009, 07:27 AM
I couldn't find anything in my usual haunts. But, if I understand, you're concerned that after asembly the supers won't be rectangular?

What I do is fasten a couple of 2 foot lengths of 1x2 at 90 degrees on a work surface. After gluing and nailing 2 sides together, I press them into the 2 pieces of 1x2, making sure each side is against a 1x2. The next 2 sides are nested against the first assembly and on and on...

When I assemble the halves together to make a super, I do the same thing. I use the 1x2's to verify the super is square and adjust if necessary. Then I put the super aside to dry.

Hope this helps.

Walt

naurot
Jan 11th 2010, 02:59 PM
Is this what you're looking for?
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesboxjig.htm

tecumseh
Jan 12th 2010, 03:34 AM
What are you trying to do Brooklyn? I can't really tell from your question.

I do use a nailing/glueing jig for assembling boxes but it is really little more than an old box with a few bits of plywood screwed to it to keep the sides stationary for the initial application of the glue and the first couple of nails. an inner cover (a square bit of plywood would also work) with a couple of scrap bit of wood attached and time (for the glue to dry) is all I use to square the boxes.

alleyyooper
Jan 22nd 2010, 08:09 AM
Some where I have a picture of a box joint sled I use to cut the joints in my 10 frame boxes. Funny how you can't find stuff when you want it. You can goggle box joint jig to find one that will work for you.

To keep the hives square I have 6x6 sq blocks I clamp in the top corner that keeps them square, wellmaybe square isn'tthe right word more like true 90 corners.

As for the size set two frames side by side and measure them. Subtract that mesurement from the size for a 10 frame hive.

found them.

Top view
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/twotracker/DadoJig2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/twotracker/Otherendboxjoint.jpg

:mrgreen: Al

Walt B
Jan 22nd 2010, 10:09 AM
Cool! :thumbsup: I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

Walt

alleyyooper
Jan 23rd 2010, 07:15 AM
Sorry forgot the bottom of the sled.
Hard wood rails that run in the saws miter slots to keep the sled true.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/twotracker/DadoJig1.jpg

The rails will shrink and swell depending on the humidity.Try to not use it on rainny days and you wll be OK. I also waxed them good too.

I got some old 8 frame boxes out back I'll try to get measured for you. Just remembered them last night .

G3farms
Jan 23rd 2010, 11:42 AM
That is a good looking sled you made

G3

Walt B
Jan 23rd 2010, 06:37 PM
We haven't heard from Brooklyn for awhile, but thanks for bringing up the topic.

And thanks to Al's photos I may not be buying any more bodies and supers. It may be a little more work, but there's probably very little chance of me "burning out". :lol:

Walt

alleyyooper
Jan 23rd 2010, 08:48 PM
measured the 8 frame boxes today. 14"x19 7/8"

:D Al

Iddee
Jan 23rd 2010, 09:12 PM
Inside, or outside?

rast
Jan 24th 2010, 09:50 AM
Alley, that looks like the Craftsman tablesaw that I have my dado setup in. Mine was my Daddy's. Late 50's' early 60's. Sled and boxjoint jigs look similar too.

alleyyooper
Jan 26th 2010, 07:55 AM
Outside measurements.
It is a shaft drive craftsman from the late 70's or early 80's and was my mothers. Ihave her band saw and jig saw too.
she made all kinds of whiragigs and other gardeen wooden stuff she sold from the house and fairs and such.

rast
Jan 26th 2010, 05:57 PM
OK, mines belt drive, weight of the motor keeps the belt tight.

G3farms
Jan 26th 2010, 08:53 PM
Mine too Rast, it was my dads.

G3

NY_BLUES
Feb 4th 2010, 07:54 PM
all of my 8 frame equipment is 13 3/4 outside and 19 3/4 long, i guess it doesnt matter much thought, as long as the depths are right. Rast and G3 I have the same saw and it works great!

tecumseh
Feb 5th 2010, 04:11 AM
several of us appear to be using the same (and yes ancient) table saw. I acquired mine out at the dump.. the table and all was in excellent shape but the motor was toast. since that time I have burned up two motors myself. I certainly enjoy stuff that has multiple lives.... likely a black cat thingee.

snip..
19 3/4 long

tecumseh:
I though this was suppose to be more like 19 7/8 inches long??? a bit too wide and the frames will fall from the rabbet and a bit too short and either the frames are likely not to fit or bee space is compromised between the end bars and front and back of the box. of course either + or - the bees will not mind much but slight irregularities here can make future manipulation (frame removal) tedious.