PDA

View Full Version : Plastic or glass jars/ bottles

barry42001
Jan 28th 2010, 11:22 AM
I have recently learned and had confirmed from food processors like Del-Monte and Progressive Foods, that all the canned food items we consume, the can itself is lined with plastic to protect the food from the reactions of the food to the metal. The Plastic itself unfornately leeches BPA a know cuase of infertility, and even cancer along with a host of other disorders. When I asked Progressive ( we like alot the various soups they make), they stated that the FDA has a standard count for BPA in food at 600PPB ALLOWED, and that they generate 60 - 90PPB well below the standard. I at that point stated that in all food items insect parts and rat hair are allowed up to a certian point. From manufacturing perspective, is fine but if your the one eating the half a cockroach or fishing the rat hair from your mouth, suspect those standards you would view as being too low. All plastics marked with the number 7 or unmarked at all are BPA contact chemical containers. just a bit of information.
Barry

G3farms
Jan 28th 2010, 12:19 PM
I knew the cans had a plastic coating on the inside but never gave it much tohought on the outgassing.

I don't think you can beat the use of glass containers for food stuffs.

G3

sqkcrk
Jan 29th 2010, 08:52 AM
All plastics marked with the number 7 or unmarked at all are BPA contact chemical containers. just a bit of information.
Barry

Are you absolutely sure about the "unmarked " part of your statement? Which in effect says that ALL plastic containers put out BPA?

The Dutch Gold/Gamber Container Company representative addressed this BPA thing at the ABF conference. He assured us that this is not a problem w/ any of their plastic containers.

I don't see anything wrong w/ advocating and using glass and not plastic. But what is acceptable to one is unacceptable to another. One has to make their own choices.

Knowing what you know now, are you going to make your own soups w/ basic food ingredients? You'll be healthier, I imagine. Less HFCS in your diet, especially in your soup.

Thanks for bringing this up for discussion.

Iddee
Jan 29th 2010, 09:10 AM
>>>>they stated that the FDA has a standard count for BPA in food at 600PPB ALLOWED, and that they generate 60 - 90PPB well below the standard<<<<

>>>>He assured us that this is not a problem w/ any of their plastic containers<<<<

I'm quite convinced that both the above quotes are saying the exact same thing. The second one certainly would say it's not a problem if they are only emitting 15% of what is considered safe. Sometimes you just have to read the meaning BEHIND the words.

sqkcrk
Jan 29th 2010, 09:52 AM
Not only is it not a problem, according to Joe from Gamber, it doesn't happen w/ any of their plastic containers. The problem is sorta an urban myth that started when some plastic waterbottles, which are no longer produced, were shown to give off this BPA material.

I don't doubt that what Barry is reporting is inaccurate, but according to Gamber, it isn't something that happens w/ their containers.

I just noticed the "Plastic Jars & Bottles" ad at the bottom of this page. Maybe someone should contact them and get their take on this subject. I don't know if i have the time online to do that, but I will try.

alleyyooper
Jan 29th 2010, 09:53 AM
We ship our honey in plastic as it travels so much better. Localy our honey is in glass unless the customer wants bears or upside down jars. The resturant buys in glass and tranfers it into their plastic to meet MDFS requirements.

:mrgreen: Al

barry42001
Jan 29th 2010, 12:52 PM
I am a advocate for safe food products, while the FDA has stated that BPA is one of the most researched products currently in use in the food industry, and while I certianly would never consider telling someone what or what not to do, thats entirely your choosing. What I do is to present another point of view, one that has it's basis in fact. The facts will ALWAYS vary according to who's " horse is being gored " sqkcrk, your absolutely right in that I will be forgoing the usage of canned soups until such times as I hear with certiany that ALL saftey issues have been addressed. I have always thought soups from scratch were best both in tasting and content. convience is not always a consideration when your in the store, one I would think looks for some combination of both convience and saftey and taste. Of course plastics are easy to use, glass has it's own issues in breaking and shipping weight( postage ) I got that and am willing to tolerate the inconvience and do what I personally consider right for me--is somethign you all will have to do--whats right for you I only present another perspective and I do not promote inaccurate information, but will provide more absolute factual information from medical sources.
Barry

Iddee
Jan 29th 2010, 01:21 PM
That's what is nice about individualism. Although I agree completely with your right to think and feel as you do, It is 180 degrees away from the way I think and do. I feel that a few small amounts of poison now and then will do no more than activate your immune system and make your body stronger, so I try not to have everything totally sterile in my diet. I like for my body to have somewhat of a challenge from time to time.

barry42001
Jan 30th 2010, 04:29 AM
That is true, and the old adage is that a man/ woman eats a pound of dirt before thier death, all that is in all probability true, but the natruaql toxins are one thing, and some of them are too overwhelming for our bodies, but man-made chemicals that are toxic, are something that our bodies will never adapt to combat in a timely fashion perhaps exposure for the next 300 years will evolve a newer human that has the real ability to ingest these chemicals, for now I prefer to ingest fresh peas carrots, home grown beef, and pork and of course honey.
Barry :yahoo:

tecumseh
Jan 30th 2010, 04:57 AM
iddee writes:
so I try not to have everything totally sterile in my diet.

tecumseh:
my grandma had the notion that you raised a boy on a peck of dirt per day and whatever didn't kill ya' made you stonger.

fast forward 50 years... I have an acquired (via marriage) a relative who does immunity research (primarily with young folks) and his research suggest that my grandma was on to something. his studies suggest that some immunities you ned to be exposed to at a very young age or you will have life long problems with the compounds any time you are exposed to them for the rest of your life.

barry writes:
When I asked Progressive ( we like alot the various soups they make), they stated that the FDA has a standard count for BPA in food at 600PPB ALLOWED, and that they generate 60 - 90PPB well below the standard.

tecumseh:
is that their estimate of the mean count? it would be important to also have some idea of the standard deviation of this measure.

barry42001
Jan 30th 2010, 11:05 AM
I am of the belief that you are what you eat more or less ( think about that for a moment hmmm!)In the course of my work day, I am forced to endure exposure to toxins that are a result of me performing my job from day to day. Today for example I just got down from the second tier ( floor ) catwalk, and am removing a section for other work to be done. The work is being done via am Oxyacetiline torch carbon from the burning acetiline, metal vapors from melting iron and metal compounds, the ever present dust, shortly I will be arc welding to terminate the catwalk at that point. More metal fumes not only from the metals being welded but also the electrode used to weld with--all are toxic, some exceedingly dangerous. With this as a background thats why I am very conscious about toxins in anything else I ingest--I tak e in quite enough toxins not to hanve to take in more at home in what I eat.
:drinks:

G3farms
Jan 30th 2010, 11:59 AM
I hear ya Barry, I have worked for years in govt. facilities that were hot with radiation, pcb, toxic metals, mercury, asbestoes, chemicals of every sort, and in laboratories filled with tens of thousands of lab rats. Then of course there is a couple of the sub contractors that took on the waste removal from the govt. sites which involved some pretty bad things including medical waste on top of all of the above listed. Glad I don't work in these enviroments anymore. I guess one of the worst places I work at now is a paper mill, pretty nasty place. They make the paper that ends up as tar paper and foam core insulation.

Lately I have been reading more of the lables on the food stuffs that we are eating and it is kind of scary at all of the chemicals we are ingesting (just the ones that are added at the factory), let alone the outgassing from the packaging. We are worried about the chemicals in the beeswax and to me that is only a very small piece of the whole puzzle. Just think of the chemicals that are in the food stuffs straight from the farms; herbicides, pesticides, fretilizers and contaminated irrigation water. This is not even mentioning what is in our meats that are store bought.

I can not believe how many things contain some part or form of corn, mainly corn syrup.

I'm not even a tree hugger.

Rant over!!

G3

barry42001
Jan 30th 2010, 01:48 PM
G3
while I am not a tree hugger ( just ask all the trees I have tore out this fall and winter to create open sky over the yard so I can grow vegetables already have green beans, parsley, and brussels sprouts and am harvesting cilantro, dill and rosemary believe it or not seems habanero pepper plants seemed to have survived and leaf packets starting to bud out already.) I also have orange tree, peach tree, and two avacodo trees and a banana tree so I am doing my thing, and truely love doing the extra labor to do it. I truely love cooking fresh foods, nothing beats right from the plant to your skillet, likewise with meat like beef, pork and chicken--nothing tastes better then a truely fresh roast after you have seasoned it properly. Another true joy is to be in the bee yard in mid July, and just smell the wonderous aroma of nectar being condensed into honey, or the uncapping of a full frame of honey and samplnig it from the knife ( we all have done it just admit it ) There is only one other activity that I love better then the things mentioned, and it can not be mentioned here. :D
Barry

G3farms
Jan 30th 2010, 02:16 PM
Barry I was not calling you a tree hugger, just saying I was not. I also put out a pretty good sized garden, got apple trees, peach trees to plant and raise my own beef.

Hard to imagine your garden is already coming up.

Fresh honey on the end of you hive tool or finger is always the best, and yes I do it every chance I get.

and uh yep on the last one :oops: :lol: :lol:

G3

tecumseh
Jan 30th 2010, 03:28 PM
Just for the recored Barry I sell almost all of my product in glass because people like yourself suggested that I do and I value their input in regards to their perception of the value of my product. When I ship honey I do put it in plastic since glass just ain't going to make it from here to there.

I worked quite a few years myself in a metal fabrication shop and I know exactly of your concerns.

barry42001
Jan 31st 2010, 09:04 AM
Tec,
are you suggesting that shipping jars through the US Mails MAY result is a few broken jars, I am truely shocked that you would spread such a malicious rumor??? Actually I work for the Postal Service as a Building Equipment Mechanic, and know exactly how the parcels are processed, and would be somewhat reluctant to use glass unless packaged in stryfoam, bubble wrapped and then in cell dividers in the carton, pour styrafoam peanuts in cells and around the previously wrapped jars--should not be needed but in this modernized system of high speed sortation of all mails including those labelled fragile, most will make it fine --a few absolutely won't due any one of another of factors either machine error, or operator error--either way if is your parcel that gets chewed up by the machinery this is a diseaster overshadowing all the other parcels that made it in good shape.

tecumseh
Jan 31st 2010, 11:37 AM
ah barry I see you have other information I may be able to tap unto?

no actually barry the quarts I sent to relatives in nice mason jars was via federal express. I had packed them nicely in a 5 gallon pail with bubble rap on the bottom and around the jars and then packing peanuts added to take up the empty space. all arrived broken. this did not deter my good new hampshire relatives who are quite resourceful and throw nothing away. they simply allowed everything to drain to the bottom of the 5 gallon pail and poured the liquid into new containers.

since that episode I ship in plastic to the various family relatives.

barry42001
Jan 31st 2010, 12:18 PM
Actually tecumseh, I was also a window clerk, takng in parcels to mail, and used to religiously remind the customer to ensure enough packing material was incorperated in the box to insulate from drops, bangs and when the parcel drops into a metal container prior to final shipment to delivery office. I also was required to ( and still are ALL required ) to ask, is there anything in there, liquid, fragile, or perishable. This additional information enables to properly label the box ex: red stamp perishable another red stamp: fragile, therotically means will be handled differently and more hands on instead of more machine handling. :beg:
Barry