PDA

View Full Version : Incubator Plans?

larry tate
Feb 10th 2010, 05:26 AM
Anyone have any plans for an incubator using a wafer thermostat? Where would you obtain a thermostat and what heat source is recommended? Comments appreciated!

G3farms
Feb 10th 2010, 07:35 AM
Is this for hatching chicken eggs????

Check ebay for parts, hova-bator is a big time incubator outfit

http://www.gqfmfg.com/store/instructions.asp

There is some very good information here to get anyone started. Ther incubator "box" can be made out of just about anything, the heat needs to be fairly constant, humidity plays a huge role in getting the eggs to hatch and of course turning the eggs. I have a still air hovabator with an egg turner and it works very well. If you can get a 75% or better hatch rate you did very good.

G3

http://www.gqfmfg.com/pdf/Thermal%20Hov ... ctions.pdf (http://www.gqfmfg.com/pdf/Thermal%20Hova-Bator%20%20instructions.pdf)
down toward the bottom of the page is good information

sqkcrk
Feb 10th 2010, 09:43 AM
If you are incubating queen cells, Dave Miksa uses a chick incubator to ship queen cells. He also has an incubation closet in the queen house. I don't know what that is like or how it is set up. But I bet Dave would tell you. If I remember, i will ask my friend Chuck how his incubation box was built, what he uses.

larry tate
Feb 10th 2010, 09:58 AM
It would be used for queen cells. Thanks

sqkcrk
Feb 10th 2010, 10:28 AM
I think that a chick incubator should be enuf, unless you are going to grow hundreds at a time. Go to your local feed store and see if they can find you one. Maybe you would want two, in case the first one broke down.

tecumseh
Feb 11th 2010, 05:25 AM
mark writes:
He also has an incubation closet in the queen house.

tecumseh:
one of the folks I know here that rears queens cells in large numbers has one of these also. I pretty sure the heat source is electric. I know he has an 'alarm system' incorporated into the closet sized incubator that warns of any loss of power or sudden drop in temperature.

sqkcrk
Feb 11th 2010, 10:38 AM
Wouldn't a modified refrigerator be good for this application? It's already insulated. And BjornBee has one that he doesn't know what to do w/. :)

tecumseh
Feb 12th 2010, 04:59 AM
so what is a wafer thermostat?

I would think a refrig would be a good choice for something intermediate sized.... perhaps an ice cooler if you wanted something smaller.

Iddee
Feb 12th 2010, 07:02 AM
A wafer stat from tractor supply and a dorm frig. Also a heat source and humidity gauge. There's a name for it, but it's too early for me to think what it is.You're all set.

sqkcrk
Feb 12th 2010, 02:38 PM
so what is a wafer thermostat?

I would think a refrig would be a good choice for something intermediate sized.... perhaps an ice cooler if you wanted something smaller.

When I get my cells from my buddy Chuck, I transport them in a small cooler w/ a hot water bottle and a towel to keep the cells warm for a couple of hours. It's 100 miles from where Chuck is to where my nucs are. Seems to work.

rast
Feb 16th 2010, 05:35 PM
Miksa also has dual thermostat controls in his as a backup in case one fails.