PDA

View Full Version : cleansing flight

gloriousolive
Feb 27th 2010, 10:29 AM
I noticed today that a few bees were leaving the hive for a short while, and think they were going on cleansing flights, I noticed a few orange spots on the ground in front of the hive. However I also noticed that quite a few didnt make it back into the hive and were just dropping on the floor in front of the hive, also a couple were sort of stuck on the outside of the hive with their wings stretched out, they appeared to be dead. This is my first winter with the hive and although I am glad they appear to have survived the winter, I arent familiar with what is normal behaviour at this time of year, can anyone advise me please?

Iddee
Feb 27th 2010, 10:34 AM
That is normal behavior. They will lose a few of the older members at this time, but nothing to worry about.

tecumseh
Feb 28th 2010, 04:37 AM
at this point I would say you are witnessing normal cleansing flight and likely some orientation flight (since you may also have some quantity of brood hatching).

if large numbers were not returning or died around the front entrance I would note this and look a bit harder upon the first scheduled inspection.

gloriousolive
Mar 1st 2010, 02:38 AM
Thankyou both for your comments, its very reassuring to know that this is normal behaviour.