PDA

View Full Version : Dead bees, warm(ish) day

gloriousolive
Mar 4th 2010, 10:34 AM
It has been a fairly warm day today (7c) and when I got home from work this evening I found about three dozen dead bees in front of the hive and quite a lot more on the (mesh) floor of the hive. It is very cold at night (-4c) still. I think they are going out on cleansing flights and not making it back through whatever reason. I put a block of fondant in the top of the hive on sunday although the hive feels fairly heavy still. I have just had a very quick look under the roof through the holes in the crown board and there appears to still be a lot of activity. My question is this - is this amount of dead bees normal? and would the mouse guard be making it difficult for them to get back in the hive?

barry42001
Mar 4th 2010, 11:50 AM
most of the dead bees were probably older bees that tried to overwinter unsucessfully. unless your seeing piles and piles of dead bees then I would only consider cleaning off the bottom bard if weather permits.
Barry

gloriousolive
Mar 4th 2010, 12:28 PM
thankyou for your reply, because this is my first winter as a beekeeper all this is new to me, and quite alarming!

Omie
Mar 4th 2010, 08:06 PM
Some of your dead bees in front of the hive could be bees that died during the winter and now with warm days the workers are chucking the old dead ones out the door- cleaning house. :)