PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

Random_Guy
Apr 8th 2010, 03:37 PM
Hello all. How is everyone?

I am looking into beekeeping and have a few questions.

First off, is it too late to get me the equipment and start a hive?

I am not familiar with the terms used when talking about the hives(ie Nuc). Can someone give me a quick run down of what is what?

I believe the area I live in has a few beekeepers. Don't know about any beekeeper clubs. Where can I find a list of Bee Clubs?

I work somewhat close to the Brushy Mtn. Bee Farm. Are they a good source of supplies and such?

Thanks

Keith

Iddee
Apr 8th 2010, 03:55 PM
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=21 (http://www.beekeepingforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=21)

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=566 (http://www.beekeepingforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=566)

As far as being too late to start, it depends on what you find and how hard you study. Starting this late will almost REQUIRE you to have a mentor.

Brushy is a good supplier, but so are Reel's, Orr's, and Miller's. They are all in the same area.

BeeHunter
Apr 8th 2010, 06:51 PM
If you start up now you could order a 3-4 pkg of bee's and a queen. That way takes at least a month or even 2 to get the comb built up to store the bees food and eggs sufficiently to build up . A "nuc" or nucleus is 1/2 of a full colony or 4-5 frames of eggs, and food along w/ a laying queen and a bunch of bee's. This way saves the time of getting comb built up or at least 1/2 the comb in a section built up. There will bee various ages of eggs giving you a steady supply of bee's to work the crops and flowers. The Nuc is what I would recomend in time constraints. It may cost a little bit more but you gain alot of time. I'll have to search beekeeper clubs in your area but it shouldn't be too hard to find a club close. They are great contacts on beesources and knowledge most are glad to share. Equipment you'll need has been discussed here and can be search. Get your bee's found soon, get your equipment soon. if you decide on 10 or 8 frames get yourself a couple "deeps w/ frames and some foundation. A complete super or 3 per hive would be advisable. A bee veil to cover the vitals!!! and a suit if you feel like you need one. A hive tool or small prybar is useful and a smoker is useful too. Theres more to learn but thats a start. If you have time and are constructive you can put your equipment together or just oder this first batch made up. Give it a try, you'll do fine but time to get them bee's is of the essence. THey sell out fast! Good luck and keep asking questions!!!!

Random_Guy
Apr 9th 2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. I zipped on over to Brushy Mtn. Bee Farm on my lunch break today to check stuff out. Wanted to look at the equipment first hand to know what it is all about. Was told that this winter was very harsh on the bees. Pretty much all of them have died this year. I think I read somewhere on here that this has happened to a few people here in NC. Anyways. I am taking a trip back up to NY this weekend for a long weekend trip to see my buddy's band play in a battle of the bands competition. When I get back I will be looking into getting some equipment. Was looking at the setups in the store and realized that I could put one of those hive's together myself. Thanks for all the info. Bee seeing you all around.

BeeHunter
Apr 9th 2010, 04:51 PM
I see Orr has some bees for sale if interested?