PDA

View Full Version : Roll the lawn for kares mom.

alleyyooper
Apr 14th 2010, 08:16 PM
About 4 years ago Kares dad was complaining that his lawn roller had so many rust holes in it that most of the water leaked out in a couple hundred feet. I told him I wouldtake it home and open it up fill it with redi mix and water and weld it shut again. He said no he was going to buy a new poly one.
Well I used it today. I am not impressed with it and would not recommend any one buy one. First off You can not fill it full enough to remove the flat spot that devlopes from sitting empty in the sun. After roolin gnearly the whole two acres I seen the fklat spot had about disappeared. Since it is poly it looks to me like it gives when it hits big lumps like mole hills. I had to go back and blade the hill down to get it level. Going to reroll again after the next rain but will take and use my metal roller.

:mrgreen: Al

Hobie
Apr 15th 2010, 05:18 AM
Good to know! Plastics have their place, and apparently "lawn roller" is not one of them.

Personally, I think people need to really start thinking about what products we make with our oil.

alleyyooper
Apr 15th 2010, 07:16 AM
OH DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE OIL AND PLASTIC THING. Can't say I don't like the gallon jugs of milk better than the glass bottles or 2 half gallon waxed carboard though. I do how ever see a need to join Calf. in banning plastic shopping bags that hang in the trees along the hiway for years finally shredding in the wind after many years and falling to the ground.

Many things I'd like to see return as they were in my youth. Even some pot medal products lasted longer than the plastic crap today.

G3farms
Apr 15th 2010, 08:22 AM
I am with you on the plastic bag banning, I find them everywhere in the pasture and hay fields. I personally like glass for food products, but hate to see them thrown in the fields to run over with the tractor.

What I find everywhere is golf balls, I have baled hay in some remote fields and never fail to find a few.

I was shocked the other day when we went to Ingles and noticed they still have paper grocery bags!!

G3

alleyyooper
Apr 15th 2010, 01:18 PM
golf balls in a hay field :oops: never happen here as I make the guys pick every one of them up or they don't get to come again. I invite a few glof nuts and a bunch of my shooting friends out every year. I buy a couple of buckets of golf balls and the golf nuts drive them. Us shooters shot them. We also do ballons, clay targets then we eat a huge potluck dinner, supper to country folks after all the balls are picked up and the trash taken care of.

G3farms
Apr 15th 2010, 01:28 PM
That sure does sound like a great time. Any trick shooters in your possey??

G3

alleyyooper
Apr 16th 2010, 07:26 AM
No trick shooters just a bunch of good natured guys ribbing MEevery time I miss and they never forget the easy shot from 10 years ago I missed. And the one year one of the guys spotted a coyote sitting on the edge of the woods about 185 yards out wondering what in the world are those guys doing. He shot it with a 300 winchester Mag and a 165gr bullet in the rear end. Opened that thing up from sern to stem what a mangled mess. He gets the trophy for best shooting and I get the razzing.

G3farms
Apr 16th 2010, 05:33 PM
Dad was always a good shot and we had put out about 50 acres of corn one year. Pat, one of his buddies was bragging about how good a crow hunter he was so Dad let him hunt the field. We drove up one day to find Pat and his buddy packing up to leave, Dad asked how many did they get, with their heads hung low they just mumbled "none". About that time a crow flew into a big oak at the edge of the field about 75 yards away and Dad wanted to take a crack at him and asked to shoot one of their shotguns, come to find out they had both shot two boxes of shells and did not have any left. Dad pulled out his old .45 from under the seat, took aim, said it shoots a little low and a little to the right......................BAM, and the crow falls out of the tree.

That was always brought up every time they met, Pat would just alway shake his head , roll his eyes and walk off.

G3