PDA

View Full Version : Swarm going into a hive?

arkiebee
May 18th 2010, 10:04 AM
I probably should have put this under a new post, so here goes:

Anyway here is one for you guys: So about 4:30 - 5:00 I went back out there to see what's going on and I was in the middle of another swarm! These guys went to a low tree limb and I thought YES I can get this one. I ran back to the shop to get the hive body, etc. and allowed them time to "settle". I went back out there and these bees had swarmed from that limb to the front of my hive #1?? They were all over the entrance, legs, etc of that hive and went in it! I wouldn't belive it if hadn't I seen it with my own eyes. That hive was a weaker hive and I can only think of 2 things: either that hive was queenless & these bees sensed it and decided to take it over OR that was the hive that just swarmed and the queen decided she didn't want to leave?? I really didn't think that hive would swarm...but what do I know??????????????????? I really think these bees came from my other big hive because I split it and I probably could have split it twice - it was that big. So would a swarm of bees go to a hive that didn't belong to them?? :confused:

Sign me "frustrated and confused"!!!!!!!!!!!
:confused: :confused:

Iddee
May 18th 2010, 11:25 AM
YES

Yuleluder
May 18th 2010, 12:40 PM
It's called usurping.

arkiebee
May 21st 2010, 08:18 AM
Latest Update:
I had another two swarms yesterday - so that makes 6 swarms from 5 hives? So did that swarm that went into one of my hives come back out - or do I have an "afterswarm"? The first hive swarmed last Saturday?

I had a swarm Saturday, a swarm Sunday, 2 swarms Monday (one went into a hive) , 2 swarms yesterday (Thursday) and ALL of them went too high to catch. Just makes me want to cry! I have two lovely hive boxes sitting out there just waiting for some little bees to occupy? All of the hollow trees in the area are probably getting hard to find?!

And I split 2 of these hives because they were so big - I didn't split the other 3 because I didn't think?? they were big enough. I can't out guess these little insects! :confused: :confused: