PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Cabinet

Hobie
May 22nd 2010, 04:51 AM
I really need a simple standing cabinet for storage in my bathroom. My husband is a woodworker, but it's been 10 years and he still hasn't gotten around to it :roll: . I'm pretty good with tools, and want to give it a shot myself.

Does anyone have a good reference book/website that could give me the basics of how to make the corner joints, etc? It needs a door and shelves, minimum. A drawer would be nice but may be beyond my skills.

Iddee
May 22nd 2010, 06:50 AM
No, No, No.

The secret is to start with no plan nor idea of what to do. Just start when he is home. He will quickly tell you it's wrong, and take over and finish it. :thumbsup:

G3farms
May 22nd 2010, 08:57 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

that i just how my wife does me

G3

Ladyleo191
May 22nd 2010, 01:07 PM
Hobie, they are exactly right. That's the same thing I've always done to hubby.

I usually go buy some lumber (a couple of 2x4's and a bit of shelving board) and lay them out in the yard about 30 minutes before hubby is due home.

Drag out his table saw and drop cords, maybe a level and an electric drill. When he gets home, you need to be on your hands and knees, measuring and marking (in pencil) some lines and stuff on the lumber.

He'll have to show you how much better he can do it. all you have to do is slowly back off as he starts and go in the house.

Mama Beek
May 22nd 2010, 03:37 PM
And, if you "let the smoke out" of his favorite drill or saw he will never ever wait so long to get started on your projects again... :lol:

Hobie
May 23rd 2010, 05:16 AM
Ha! :lol: I can't believe you know about the secret smoke that they put into motors! I thought I was the only one!

Sadly, I know you are all correct. Usually I will work on things when he is not home, and be all proud of what I accomplished. Then he will come home and tell me what I should have done, or how he could have done it in 10 minutes.

tecumseh
May 24th 2010, 05:02 AM
those already made and unfinished units available at almost any lumber yard or cabinet warehouse are difficult to make for the asking price. the quality of the basic materials may vary greatly.