PDA

View Full Version : Ants



sam
Jun 9th 2010, 04:23 PM
I'm seem to have a problem with ants.Not small ants but pretty big ones.I put my hive on cement blocks and cleared the sorounding area so that there is no weed or anything.I only know 2 ways how to deal with ants cinimon or a moat of oil xan anyone help me as to how to get ride of the ants

Iddee
Jun 9th 2010, 05:59 PM
Mix Borax and granulated sugar in equal amounts. place it under the hive where it won't rain into it. Cover it enough that the bees can't get to it, but the ants can. They will carry the borax back into the hive and all will die.

sam
Jun 11th 2010, 01:59 PM
okay I'll try that but most of them are in the hive top feeder

Iddee
Jun 11th 2010, 02:34 PM
But where is their nest? If it's in the hive, destroy it. If not, they will find the sugar on the ground.

riverrat
Jun 11th 2010, 10:14 PM
I got a couple hives that I have had some ant problems with. Its usually the ones that more shade than most. The hives are strong and seam to keep the ants above the inner cover. I usually just shake them off onto the ground and move on.

sam
Jun 13th 2010, 05:49 AM
My colony is in the shade I'm surprised though that the ants slipped under the outer cover

Iddee
Jun 13th 2010, 06:10 AM
If the inner cover is installed with the flat side up, the ants will build a nest between the covers. Turn it over so the bees can get up there and they can keep the ants out.

riverrat
Jun 16th 2010, 10:11 PM
I usually dont have ant problems but today while changing out feeders In one of my bee yards every hive I opened had little ants on the inner cover Bees was able to get to them they want letting them down in the hive. This is the first time i have had ant problems in this yard. But on the up side they are letting the alfalfa go to seed so the can harvest the seed. That breaks my heart. :D :Dancing: :yahoo:

rast
Jun 19th 2010, 07:17 PM
I had a what we call "bull ants" problem once and mixed up a formula like Iddee's. Drilled some small holes horizontally in a empty coffee container with a snap on top with the stuff in it. When they didn't find it right off the bat I wiped some syrup around the holes. Syrup and borax didn't work as well as dry, just attracted fireants.