PDA

View Full Version : Marine Cpl Aaron Howell

sqkcrk
Jun 24th 2010, 05:14 PM
I hope y'all don't mind, but I am trying to do what i can to be of help to this young man. I don't know him, and yet I do know somewhat what he and his parents are going through and what they will be going through.

I also know how big your hearts are and how hard you work to make ends meet (I almost spell it meat). I do too.

Anyway, "Parishville's Marine Corporal Aaron Howell's world changed in an instant when a mortar exploded while he was on sniper patrol in Afghanistan. He lost both legs above the knee, as well as suffering other severe injuries."

He is currently in Washington, DC at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center (WRAMC), where he will be for the next year learning how to deal w/ life as it is and will be for him and his parents.

There is an ATV Benefit Ride on Sunday, July 11,2010. Registration is from 8:00 to 10:00 AM. $15.00 for single riders, $20.00 for double riders.

I know most of you won't be able to make the trip, so if you are moved to send a donation, you can send checks to Candy Olmstead, P.O. Box 353, Hannawa Falls, NY 13647 and make them out to Parishville ATV Club.

At the end of the event the club will issue a check for all of the donations and registration fees to Aaron father.

Thank you for reading this. I hope it was alright to do this here.

On behalf of my son Charles, who could have been in Aaron's position had he been a couple of yards closer to the IED that injured him, I thank you for even just thinking of Aaron and sending him and his parents prayers of support.

Thank you,
Mark
A proud father of a 2nd2none Soldier

tecumseh
Jun 25th 2010, 03:40 AM
Mark I can fully understand your position so in return I hope you don't mind the following very frank question....

why is there a need to support this young man via a bake sale?

why is the professional and very well paid army not looking after their own?

why has the current military decided that some wounded soldiers will have a life and some will not?

why is it that some folks promote war anytime, anywhere and always but are never ready to cough up the cost of such a cruel and unchristian like attitude? I am quite certain someone will be waiting at the pearly gates to ask the difficult question as to why this doesn't qualify some folks for hypocrite of the year status.

continue on.... didn't mean to hijack your thread.

sqkcrk
Jun 25th 2010, 04:09 AM
Good morning Cat who Walks in the Night,

No, not at all friend. Truley valid and important questions that I'm glad this Thread could be a vehicle for.

Thanks for asking them. I'm gonna let the questions stand on their own so others can ponder them too.

riverrat
Jun 25th 2010, 10:57 AM
A couple of years ago I donated honey bears to every combat wounded soldier in the rehabilitation transition hospital at fort riley. Amy of Amies bee labels donated a special purple heart label for the bears. There was 120 soldiers in there at the time. Most away from family and friends while they heal from there injuries. When i talked to the lady on base to cordinate it. She said these soldiers are mostly forgotten by our country saying a lot of people are unaware that these hospitals even exist. She said people will send care packages over to soldiers in war zones but once they are wounded they fall off the radar. My opinion is the government dont want it in the media. To donate the honey you got to jump through a lot of hoops and background checks. But its well worth it. If anyone is interested in doing the same thing I will post how to go about it. I think I will do it again this summer

sqkcrk
Jun 26th 2010, 04:00 AM
A. why is there a need to support this young man via a bake sale?

B. why is the professional and very well paid army not looking after their own?

C. why has the current military decided that some wounded soldiers will have a life and some will not?

D. why is it that some folks promote war anytime, anywhere and always but are never ready to cough up the cost of such a cruel and unchristian like attitude?

A. There are needs that military and government organizations don't fully cover. Just like your insurance coverage. Why they don't, I don't know. Things are better, I believe. We should ask our Reps in The Legislative Branch of Government.

There is also need in a community to show love and concern through acts like the ATV Benefit Ride.

B. they are, but sometimes another plane ticket is more than what they cover.

C. I have seen some amazing things in this area. One being my own son, who has had some great opportunities, after being injured, that I don't know if he would have had had he not been injured. I don't know if they are worth the price. But there they are.

He is still serving in the Army, after loosing the lower half of his left leg at the bottom of the calf muscle. I understand that Cpl Howell wishes to continue in Marine service also. Early times yet. But he has Marine determination, so I believe that he has a fighting chance to fulfill his wishes to stay in the Marines.

D. Amen Brother, Amen. I always hear that old song that Bob Dylan put in my head, when I think about things such as these. "How many times must some cannon balls fly before they are forever banned, the answer is blowin' in the wind." "When will we ever learn, when will we ever learn?"

I was so disappointed when President Bush took us to war. It was such a wasted opportunity. An opportunity to turn the other cheak to Alquida and say to them that they are so far beneath a reply in kind. We will never know how that would have turned out. And yes, I am a nieve wishful thinker.

Thanks for asking the tough questions Panther Brother. I wish you had been in a SEnate seat when these questions should have been asked almost 10 years ago.

tecumseh
Jun 26th 2010, 05:11 AM
I guess I should say that my dad died in a VA hospital from injuries suffered in a war long long ago. So at the very end of life the only organization that didn't desert my dad was the VA. I know my immediate family greatly appreciated the care given to my father at the VA.

It is my understanding there is great variation in the quality of care depending on the VA hospital attended.

sqkcrk
Jun 26th 2010, 05:17 AM
Mornin' Mr. T.

Yeah, I have heard that also. immediate care of a freshly wounded or injured soldier or Marine is usually the best there is. It's what follows that initial care that sometimes, and too often, goes less than satisfactory.

And we aren't even talking here about TBIs and PTSD. Those diagnisises(diagnosies?) are all too often not recognized and treated for a variety of reasons.