PDA

View Full Version : Do they practice swarm before they actually swarm?

onehorse
Jun 25th 2010, 01:31 PM
We were sitting here around 11 this morning and I look out and we have a cloud of bees everywhere. What looks like a swarm cloud and sounds like a swarm cloud, probably is a swarm, but I can't find the swarm and all the bees in the cloud went back into the box. We were outside 10 mintues before and there wasn't a cloud then. Are we too late or is there anything that we can do?

riverrat
Jun 25th 2010, 02:07 PM
I would say they swarmed and a queen didnt leave with them so they returned to the hive. They will keep reissuing a swarm until a queen leaves with them.

Iddee
Jun 25th 2010, 02:48 PM
Added to Rat's accurate description.......

If you can find the queen and make a split, you may stave off a swarm. It's known as an artificial swarm.

beehandler
Jun 25th 2010, 10:33 PM
could it have been a mating flight ??

sqkcrk
Jun 26th 2010, 04:39 AM
What if you found the queen and pinched her head and cut out all but one really good looking fully formed (mature) queen cell? That way you would keep your bees where they belong.

I'm thinking that if they are on the verge of swarming, this wouldn't work and they would swarm w/out a queen anyway.

But it might be worth a try, because a swarm at this late date isn't worth all that much unless you really tend to it.

Iddee
Jun 26th 2010, 04:49 AM
They would swarm with the new queen and leave your hive queenless.

sqkcrk
Jun 26th 2010, 05:04 AM
Yeah, they probably would. having lots of hives, I'd wave at them when they left. I know the tendency is to want to keep all of your bees, but maybe you are doing good for the local environment by populating the area w/ unmanaged bee hives. Look on it as a service to your community.

tecumseh
Jun 26th 2010, 06:13 AM
swarming is one of the many beautiful things that bees do.

sqkcrk
Jun 26th 2010, 06:20 AM
"Let it bee, let it bee, let it bee, let it bee ee, whispered words of wisdom, let it bee."

riverrat
Jun 26th 2010, 07:51 AM
could it have been a mating flight ??

The workers will not fly along with the queen on a mating flight.

alleyyooper
Jun 26th 2010, 08:02 AM
Iddee gave the best advice.

"If you can find the queen and make a split, you may stave off a swarm. It's known as an artificial swarm". Iddee

:mrgreen: Al

onehorse
Jun 26th 2010, 11:37 AM
Dang it! I think we missed the actual swarm and this was an afterswarm that aborted. We have one very mad (lots of piping) queen, that appears to be a virgin, but there is still a number of cells. So we pulled some frames with a cell and some resources and swapped hives location to try and cut down the population of bees? This wasn't a hive that I was expecting to swarm at all. They had a second box and only got about 3/4 of the way through building that out when I put on the third, they should have had plenty of room and everything we have this year is from this year packages that we didn't do any additional feeding to, so I wasn't expecting this.