PDA

View Full Version : cnc mill

riverrat
Jul 10th 2010, 07:44 PM
well I got bridgeport mills lathes mig and tig welders in my shop. Today I added a brown and sharp surface grinder and an older hitachi seiki cnc mill. now Im complete and going to start working into going out on my own. been making the other guy money for 25 years in machine shops and tired of watching him go off to the lake in the new boat I am making payments on. Got some good connections over the years to get work. and the good thing is the shop is free and clear. Going to start working it in the evenings until I can afford to go full time with it. The lord bee willing and the creek dont rise Hopefully in a couple of years. Even got a tool changer on the cnc so I can let it run unattended at night while I sleep. Its amazing what you can afford after you quit donating your money to the beer companies on a daily basis. :Dancing: :yahoo:

brooksbeefarm
Jul 10th 2010, 08:01 PM
Congratulations Rat,Looks like your on the right track :thumbsup: . I wish you the best. Jack

Iddee
Jul 10th 2010, 08:05 PM
You're right there, partner... Mr. Busch and Mr. Miller already have enough to buy all the cnc's they want. Hang in there. It gets even better with time.

G3farms
Jul 10th 2010, 08:15 PM
Rat that is great, I know you will make a go of it. It is scary as crap stepping out on your own, I know, did it twice. Once you see that you have a few loyal customers, and some money is coming in, things start looking better. If you can do it for somebody else you can do it for yourself, and don't sell yourself short or undercharge.

Iddee
Jul 10th 2010, 08:50 PM
Rat, when running a business, producing the product or service is 40 % of the work.

Administration and money management is 60 %. Keep that in mind as you prepare for the transformation.

Making money is totally useless if you have none left at the end of the year.

riverrat
Jul 11th 2010, 05:59 AM
Rat, when running a business, producing the product or service is 40 % of the work.

Administration and money management is 60 %. Keep that in mind as you prepare for the transformation.

Making money is totally useless if you have none left at the end of the year.

Very true. You cant look at what you did for the day but look where you been thru the year. I have worked for people that in good times bleed cash for toys and other unneeded things. Then in bad times they have to chose between laying off buying a piece of equipment that is needed or a new 4 wheel drive. I was actually furlowed last august on a tuesday the guy said he had depleted his payroll and couldnt pay me thru the week. I was the highest payed employee and the only one working there that was not family. The next day he bought a new four wheel drive pickup. Today he is selling off the very machines he uses to make a living to pay the help. And still driving the new 4x4. Then I have worked for guys that are tighter than bark on a tree that wouldnt spend money to make the money when needed. They was a dollar waiting on a dime. And then there have been some like where Im at now that have a good balance. and money in the bank. When you spend the day working side by side with the owner you will see and learn things that will help if you pay attention. The biggest mistake I see in shops is when the boom times come they will over extend themselves buying the latest and greatest new machines on credit. Then in a down turn cant make the payments. Dad always said a man cant have no worse friend than a banker afraid to tell you no.

srvfantexasflood
Jul 11th 2010, 08:00 AM
A man with a plan. That's great, RR. I commend you on your courage to step out on your own. I never had the confidence in my self to follow my dreams. If I could turn back the clock and keep the knowledge I have now... We've all heard that story.

Charles
Jul 19th 2010, 10:53 AM
Welcome to business ownership :yahoo: I'm very jealous too, I worked in the machine shop at Woodword Gov for quite a while and it's one of the most enjoyable jobs I ever had. Nothing like taking a raw chunk of metal and making something useful out of it :-)

Good luck rat, I wish you all the luck in the world!

riverrat
Jul 19th 2010, 05:51 PM
thanks charles we got the machine moved into the garage on saturday. Working now to get it set. You are right on machining being enjoyable. I set out to be a machinist when I was 16 and now at 45 I still cant get enough of it. Hopefully we will have the machine under power by next weekend and making chips.

G3farms
Jul 19th 2010, 06:03 PM
Sounds good, before you know it you will be moving it again to a bigger shop. You can never have enough covered space to work in.

riverrat
Jul 19th 2010, 06:55 PM
very true g3. we had a lot of trouble moving the machine took us 8 hours and it was only 3 miles from where we moved it to. Blew a hydraulic line on the forklift right out of the gate. Then pulling down the alley to the shop we collapsed the culvert under the alley causing the machine to slide off the forks. All in all we got it home in one piece. Forklift was suposed to be rated for 12000lbs machine weight was supossed to be 9000 but fork lift had trouble handling it. Not sure if it was the forklift was weak or the machine was heavier than stated. or both

riverrat
Jul 24th 2010, 08:50 PM
put the cnc to power today. So far everything has checked out good. Tool changer is a little stiff but I think it is a lubrication issue. Should be making test cuts to make sure it holds tolerance in the next couple of days. Then its time to put it to work. Had to run no 2 wire thru conduit friday that was like trying to feed a rope thru a needle eye.

tecumseh
Jul 25th 2010, 05:53 AM
a riverrat snip:
Very true. You cant look at what you did for the day but look where you been thru the year. I have worked for people that in good times bleed cash for toys and other unneeded things.

tecumseh:
sounds to me like the american business plan of the past 40 years or so. at the very top of the dung pile are corporate executives taking off 6 figure salaries with almost non existing resumes. then every time the corporate budget gets tight they sell off some corporate assets just to make the bottom line look better.

although punching out product is important I suspect Iddee has the game plan about right when he says..

producing the product or service is 40 % of the work. Administration and money management is 60 %.

riverrat
Jul 26th 2010, 10:41 AM
bought my seat of mastercam to program with today. Man they are sure proud of their software. And the bad thing is you dont own it. Your just buying the liscense to use the software. Once you own it cant transfer or resale it to another individual

BeeHunter
Aug 5th 2010, 05:27 PM
Rat, you ever go to Wichita and hit Boeing Surplus and "The Yard"? you can get lots of machine cutters/bill/drills/reams etc and other parts there. It may take a few trips since its always changing but can be worth it when you find that carbide cutter for a dime on the dollar. Might not be the stuff you need but might be worth a visit. I used to go to the one up in Seatle. Bought all sorts of aviation tools for my job. Made things alot more convienient and helpful.

riverrat
Aug 5th 2010, 07:31 PM
Rat, you ever go to Wichita and hit Boeing Surplus and "The Yard"? you can get lots of machine cutters/bill/drills/reams etc and other parts there. It may take a few trips since its always changing but can be worth it when you find that carbide cutter for a dime on the dollar. Might not be the stuff you need but might be worth a visit. I used to go to the one up in Seatle. Bought all sorts of aviation tools for my job. Made things alot more convienient and helpful.

You bet I was up at the yard twice this week you can buy cutters some new some regrinds for 5 bucks a lb aluminum drops are cheap they got about enything you would need boeing surplus is only open on fridays so I will probly hit them next week got everything up and running except I havent been able to download the g code to the machine from the computer. I should have that straightened out friday. If all goes right

riverrat
Aug 15th 2010, 05:34 PM
isnt business ownership fun. Got the ole cnc mill home set up and made a few chips. now its time to start fixing the little things that are causing problems in the mill. For starters someone went in and messed with the control parameters and deleted out all the macro programs that allow the tool changer and other thing work. Fanuc keeps there parameters a guarded secret and getting them out of a tech is about as bad. Anyhow was running without the tool changer and the y axis coupler has loosened up so now got to pull the motor to fix this. Got my new seat of mastercam and got them to throw in the $2000.00 advanced classes for free so I go to them next month. Then owner of the company I work for found out I bought a machine and a seat of mastercam and is not real happy. Have heard rumers he is looking for a new programer. I have picked up a couple of contract programming jobs designing tooling. Its going to be a long slow road.

Walt B
Aug 15th 2010, 05:54 PM
Hang in there. As they say in the song, "Keep your eyes on the prize..." :thumbsup:

Walt

Iddee
Aug 15th 2010, 06:13 PM
I hope you like beans. A new business owner can't afford tators. :shock: :wave:

tecumseh
Aug 15th 2010, 06:39 PM
snip..
Then owner of the company I work for found out I bought a machine and a seat of mastercam and is not real happy. Have heard rumers he is looking for a new programer.

tecumseh:
you will automatically know when business is picking up when your former employer starts sending you a bit of business. a little at first for certain and then when the economy really gets to rolling a bit more.

riverrat
Aug 15th 2010, 06:45 PM
snip..
Then owner of the company I work for found out I bought a machine and a seat of mastercam and is not real happy. Have heard rumers he is looking for a new programer.

tecumseh:
you will automatically know when business is picking up when your former employer starts sending you a bit of business. a little at first for certain and then when the economy really gets to rolling a bit more.

Very true the guy I was furloughed from before I took the job I got now is one of the companies Im doing contract programming for

riverrat
Aug 26th 2010, 04:45 PM
well I guess its going to be trial by the seat of the pants I was putting together a shop and looking to be out on my own in 6 months. The place i was working has no new work comming in. So today I was laid off and then rehired to do his contract programming when he gets work. I guess we are going to find out if this works got some work in progress. and some farmers I can harvest with for extra cash while im working on getting built up cant draw unemployment because i am considered self employed and in the process of doing an llc.

Iddee
Aug 26th 2010, 05:15 PM
And its the wrong time of year to make splits and sell nucs. That makes it double tough.
Hang in there and keep your eyes open. Stuff will come along if you are watching close enough to see it when it comes by.

Walt B
Aug 26th 2010, 07:45 PM
RR, it sucks, but it says something that you're on contract. There may be others looking for programmers. Best of luck, and chin up.

Walt

riverrat
Aug 26th 2010, 09:13 PM
I have got a few offers rolling in I went ahead and bought a 2nd machine 2 good of a deal to pass up and i will have a better chance at keeping this one running than the other since it is set up to run aluminum fast. Life is one trial after another its only when you let them convict you that you lose

tecumseh
Aug 27th 2010, 04:32 AM
have a bit of faith... all the economic indicators suggest we are well on the way to a turn around.

and from me to you... good luck brother.

riverrat
Aug 27th 2010, 06:20 AM
I am all in on making this work. I saw the writing on the wall as I posted it a few weeks ago that it looks like he wasnt happy with the idea of me buying equipment. Nothin worse than knowing its comming and just wondering when

Ducks®™
Aug 27th 2010, 01:30 PM
When I was younger I use to do all the electrical work for CSMI... usa`s largest tool and die ,,, I have even worked on your cnc as they had 5 the last I remember,holler if I can help in anyway :hi:

Now all you have to do is figure out away to create a tax write off! :o

G3farms
Aug 27th 2010, 03:38 PM
Sorry to hear of the bad news rr! As said before just keep your eyes and ears open, you never know what window will open since that door has shut. It is sad to think your old boss would get upset because you were buying machines, guess it is hard for him to remember when he first got started.

cow pollinater
Sep 1st 2010, 06:59 PM
A boss that isn't happy to see employees being successfull is a good one to get away from. Take him for as much as you can in good conscience and rest assured that he is taking you for all you're worth. When you get busy enough to have employees of your own, treat them better than he has treated you... as in foster their interest instead of trying to hold them back. In ten years the best ones will want to work for you(and will be loyal to you long after they go out on their own) and he'll get the crap.

The best thing that has ever happened to me in my carreer was getting screwed to the point where I had enough and I went out on my own. I kept my former boss as a customer and I told him what it was worth instead of the other way around... turns out he couldn't do it as cheap as he said he could. :wave: I now work less hours, have more customers,and make more than double... Don't let him get to you. Better times are just around the corner.

G3farms
Sep 1st 2010, 07:35 PM
Well put cp, I have had several come and go through my little business and was always glad to see them better themselves and told them so. You can't have hard feelings towards somebody for wanting to better themselves and their family. A good employee is an asset, just like one of rr's machines, needs to be taken care of on a regular basis.

riverrat
Sep 2nd 2010, 05:50 AM
been working long hours getting the final touches put on the shop finally had to hire a guy to finish the sheetrock. People are finding out I started a shop and are call wanting to place work. (which help boost ones confidence) machine should be in in the next couple of days. The new converter and bigger compressor and air dryer arrived yesterday getting the central ac and heat put in on friday. I had to kind of speed up some things i was going to do gradually since I got laid off. I got it last thursday. Friday he got rid of the rest of his managers all of us for the same reason we did not pass our iso audit and lack of work. We tried to tell him he was no where close to passing audit and when we tried to bring things into iso compliance he would tell us not to do it screw the auditors im doing it this way and if they dont like it thats to bad. News is he is looking to hire managers that share his view on iso. Hope it works for him. But history shows that surrounding yourself with yes men usually does not work well

Walt B
Sep 2nd 2010, 06:38 AM
RR, Sounds like you're better rid of the guy. Good to hear things are moving along nicely. :thumbsup:

I believe it was Wrigley who said, "In business, when two people always agree, one of them is not necessary."

Walt

G3farms
Sep 2nd 2010, 08:18 AM
See there things are already looking up, just take good care of the customers and don't sell yourself short.

Bens-Bees
Jan 21st 2011, 03:03 AM
Hey rat, do you still have the cnc mill? If so, is the one you have capable of creating cutout stencils out of 3/16" - 1/8" sheet steel? If so, what would you charge me to do two of them for me if I shipped you the sheet steel and patterns?

riverrat
Jan 21st 2011, 08:58 AM
still got the machine running it full time. I will send you apm