PDA

View Full Version : What the heck kind of pollen is this?

Tia
Oct 2nd 2010, 09:44 AM
This morning the girls are bringing in a yellow--not bright like goldenrod, more like a lemon yellow--pollen that is almost dayglo or radioactive! I'm nearsighted and from 10' away I can see this stuff. They almost look like lightning bugs. I'm hoping they're not picking up something lethal, paint chips, etc.

Got any ideas?

G3farms
Oct 2nd 2010, 01:25 PM
might be asters

riverrat
Oct 2nd 2010, 07:30 PM
I have seen bees pick wild sunflower pollen up that looked a lot like you explained

Tia
Oct 3rd 2010, 09:07 AM
Must be getting it from a distance away. I checked out my property and found the working cucumbers, wild onions, mint, chives, wild ageratum, and even tomatoes, but the pollen wasn't the same as what I was seeing. I'm sure there are lots of wild asters in the woods and marsh and the nursery is just down the street.

tecumseh
Oct 4th 2010, 04:53 AM
if you were here Tia I would suggest what you are seeing is bitterweed.

Tia
Oct 5th 2010, 05:09 PM
Tecumseh, out of curiosity I looked up a photo of bitterweed (also called "sneezeweed") and thought it looked like something that's all along the roadsides here. But then it said it grows only in Texas. So I went to the local extension office website and sure enough, there it was! I don't have any of the stuff on my property, but I've seen a lot of it along the creek and they could easily have gotten into it. Thanks for your input!

tecumseh
Oct 6th 2010, 05:55 AM
you are welcome.

bitterweed is highly invasive and spreads easily. I have notice it in pastures in Texas and Louisiana so I know it not confined to just Texas. as it's name suggest it's produces bitter honey for bees and bitter milk when consumed by cows.

srvfantexasflood
Oct 7th 2010, 08:14 AM
I didn't know it produced a bitter honey. It's native around here as well. The garden centers sell it as a native plant or perennial.