PDA

View Full Version : What's Local Honey?

brooksbeefarm
Oct 14th 2010, 10:22 AM
This has probably been brought up many times, but is always ask at the farmers market by customers.My answer is a 50 mile radius and it could be more depending on the variation of the different type of plants bees work. Then i read on other bees sites that some beekeepers say they call it local honey even if it's from adjioning states? What are some of your views on this :confused: Jack

Iddee
Oct 14th 2010, 01:02 PM
My opinion is local honey is taken off your hives and carried home to extract, then the supers taken back to the hives. Distance doesn't matter.

If it is so far away that you carry replacement supers to install when you harvest, it is not local. If you move your hives to the source, then bring them home before harvesting, it is not local.

rast
Oct 14th 2010, 06:12 PM
I feel that local is about a 25 mile radius. The only reason's for the "local" label that I know of is for those that use it for sinus immunity from local pollen. Next is supporting your local business's. I suppose that next would be a selling feature.

tecumseh
Oct 14th 2010, 06:29 PM
everybody now has added 'local' to their labels here. it has to be as much a marketing hook as anything else.

I think the 50 mile rule is appropriate.

brooksbeefarm
Oct 14th 2010, 10:05 PM
At the farmers market,When people ask where my honey comes from i tell them two miles south of here and some comes from sixty miles north, they say that's local enough, i'm usually sold out by now but i still have 24qts. 26pts. and about 20 bears, and it's going fast. Jack

riverrat
Oct 14th 2010, 10:16 PM
I live about 45 miles form the heart of wichita I have trouble selling honey up there a lot of people when the find out im 45 miles away tell me its not local. I wouldnt worry to much about the local part people are going to buy your honey and if they dont because its not local then chances are they wasnt planning on buying it anyhow

G3farms
Oct 15th 2010, 05:58 PM
sometimes 50 miles could put you in two or three different states ;)

the 50 mile range can put us into sourwood country which would be in the mountains, I live in the valley with mountain ranges on both sides of us.

barry42001
Oct 16th 2010, 05:40 AM
Local is whene the colony is when super is removed, in my opion. And to my thinking, a colony of bees won't venture more then ( and geography and terrain depending ) will not travel much more the 12 miles ( like in a valley or canyon where the bees can either go up or follow the valley width. ) :drinks:
Barry