PDA

View Full Version : Water Collection

Walt B
Oct 30th 2010, 06:55 PM
Finally got the guttering up on the barn and the water collection tubs hooked up. We should get 500 gallons of water with a 3/4 to 1" rain. It's a lot closer to the veggie gardens than the rain barrels at the house. The garden in the photo is the small seasonal garden.

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv142/beeguy/WaterCollection.jpg

Walt

Mama Beek
Oct 30th 2010, 10:11 PM
Every year I tell myself we will start collecting rain water, and every year we never get around to making the catch containers. In our area gutters are rare, so that makes it a bit more of a hassle to set up too. <sigh> maybe next year.

Your set up looks great Walt. I'm jealous as all get out.

Hobie
Oct 31st 2010, 06:46 AM
Nice set up! With my 2 big barns, I should do that, too... but one is a bank barn and the thought of working 3 stories up is daunting! not to mention I'd need a high-lift.

Plus, here the snow on those metal roofs slides off in a big sheet, typically taking gutters with it. I guess I'll just live with my drippy roof edges.

I do need to dig out the dry sump that collects the runnoff on one side, though. Last big storm it backed up in no time.

Walt B
Oct 31st 2010, 06:08 PM
Hobie, That's the joy here: if you need a ladder, it'll probably be a 6 ft. step ladder. For a person with my fear of heights, this is ideal. I still have shivers about climbing on the roof in New York and breaking up ice dams.

I think close to the ground is best for me, but I do love seeing those big old barns in the north. :thumbsup:

Walt