PDA

View Full Version : Purple honey for Sale

Bitty Bee
Jan 7th 2011, 11:24 AM
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/BittyBee/DSCN2523-1.jpg

REMEMBER: This purple honey isn't as pure as our first harvest. The bees mixed a little fall honey in with it but, you can still see and taste the purple in it.

This auction begins today, Jan. 7th, and will end on January 16th (my birthday :D ) at 4pm eastern time.
Min. bid: $10.00

So who wants purple honey?

charmd2
Jan 7th 2011, 11:36 AM
Are we bidding again? I will start at $10.00

G3farms
Jan 7th 2011, 04:18 PM
I will go $20

Bitty Bee
Jan 8th 2011, 11:43 AM
10,20,21????

Here's a picture from our first purple honey harvest. The honey isn't quite as purple as that this time. I don't think the bees realize just how valuable it is. They keep putting it in the same frames as the fall honey. :roll:
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/BittyBee/purple-honey.jpg

G3farms
Jan 8th 2011, 11:49 AM
Well it looks like there is no more takers, just box it up and send it my way :lol:

charmd2
Jan 8th 2011, 12:00 PM
Ok 25

Iddee
Jan 8th 2011, 12:54 PM
Where's duck?

charmd2
Jan 8th 2011, 01:39 PM
Shhhhhh... don't remind him... he will bump it to 100. :-)

sqkcrk
Jan 8th 2011, 03:14 PM
What makes it purple? What is the floral source? You said something about its' purple flavor. What is that?

Iddee
Jan 8th 2011, 05:57 PM
The purple honey, AKA blue honey, is only made in certain parts of NC, and doesn't happen every year. Samples have been sent in for testing, but always seem to get "lost". No one has ever found the source. It is thought to be something in the soil that the plant is grown in, but what soil and what plant is still a mystery.

riverrat
Jan 8th 2011, 09:42 PM
$26.02 will be the rats bid got to get my 2 cents worth in

sqkcrk
Jan 9th 2011, 07:43 AM
what plant is still a mystery.

Is there a Smuckers Plant or fruit juice plant nearby? Does it taste like Blueberry Flavored Syrup? Or does it taste like honey? I've never heard of any other colors of honey other than the standard Water White to Black. This is interesting?

sqkcrk
Jan 9th 2011, 08:00 AM
you can still see and taste the purple in it.

So who wants purple honey?

What does purple honey taste like?

Sorry, but I have to ask, Is this for real? Or did you just add some food coloring to your honey for something different or for a joke? I'm pretty gullible at times, so I can't tell when people are kidding about something.

Iddee
Jan 9th 2011, 08:03 AM
Google blue honey.
It has been found in small quantities for many years. It is not something new, nor made up. It is for real, and still a mystery.

http://apitherapy.blogspot.com/2009/06/ ... -blue.html (http://apitherapy.blogspot.com/2009/06/video-north-carolina-bees-produce-blue.html)

"PINEHURST -- No one is quite sure when.

No one is quite sure where.

And after decades of studying, experts still disagree on why.

But almost every year, somewhere in the Sandhills of North Carolina, a few lucky beekeepers strike blue gold.

When they pry open the boxy, buzzing hives in a few weeks, their sticky sweet harvest will have a distinct azure tint: blue honey, colored by nature's whim and the bees' hunger."

Bitty Bee
Jan 9th 2011, 01:03 PM
Our first purple honey harvest, there was one entire super(medium i think) full of honey. We went out to the yard to do an inspection and pulled up a frame of capped honey that looked like it was bruised(i wish i had a camera then). The cappings were tinted this blue-ish purple color. Mom and I became very scared and thought we caught some horribly awful disease of some sort in our beehives. (We were first timers and scared to death of messing up.) So we completed the inspection but could not find a single thing to indicate the hives were sick. Well, we left the super on, so the bees could finish capping the other frames, then pulled it the following week.

Mama did as much research as she could and found many different theories but, no scientific reason why our honey was purple. We still don't have an answer to this, sorry.

We haven't got a clue what the bees make it out of either. Just theories. The strange thing is...our bees only make this stuff during the summer dearth. As far as we can tell only two things bloom then, kudzu and titi. That first year, the bees put up the purple honey during a drought.

Daddy says it tastes like grape nehi. That's probably about the best definition we have. It tastes very sugary but hasn't crystallized. All I can say is it's good and I promise we have not done anything to it except extract it from the frames and put it in a jar. NOW, this jar is mixed with fall honey. So you get a glimpse of the purple...and then a fall honey but, without the burn in the back of your throat, and it's still sweeter than goldenrod honey.

I don't have any idea why the North Carolinian's call it blue. It's clearly purple, but this is the tar heel state...everything is blue. :D

Does that clear things up for ya sqkcrk?

sqkcrk
Jan 9th 2011, 03:23 PM
Yeah, except that last comment. I woulda thought everything would be Grey. ;)

Iddee
Jan 9th 2011, 05:02 PM
Cause of all us blue devils..... :thumbsup:
Think Duke, Carolina, UNC.............

sqkcrk
Jan 9th 2011, 06:40 PM
Oh yeah, that makes sense. How did the Devils get to be blue. Too much purple honey? :)

Iddee
Jan 9th 2011, 07:04 PM
I think you're just giving us a hard time for not wishing you a Happy Birthday. So, Happy 58th, Sqkcrk. And hope you have many more.

Bitty Bee
Jan 11th 2011, 04:45 PM
Happy B-day sqkcrk!!! Why do you think everything would be gray in NC. I don't get it. :confused: I can be a little blonde at times.

There's 5 more days to go...I guess everyone will lurk around until the very end. Hmmmm.....I'll see if I can't get a better picture of this honey. Where did my camera go.....

Iddee
Jan 11th 2011, 05:18 PM
Think civil war, BB. The blue and the gray.

Bitty Bee
Jan 13th 2011, 07:57 PM
Oh! I knew that. It was just hiding behind the latin pronunciation key in the internal memory, sorry. :D

So......Who wants to out bid da rat?
25,26,26, do I hear a 27?

riverrat
Jan 14th 2011, 04:33 PM
i can taste that purple honey now. no one going to take it for more than 26 because i put my 2 cents worth in

Bitty Bee
Jan 16th 2011, 02:36 PM
Riverrat, them two pennies must have scared everyone off!

25 minutes left!
going once......

Bitty Bee
Jan 16th 2011, 03:10 PM
going twice.......
SOLD! To the man with a rat for $26.02!
Congratulations riverrat!!! :yahoo:

Mama Beek
Jan 16th 2011, 10:54 PM
Congratulations RR! You are in for a rare treat.

Bheckel169
Jan 17th 2011, 11:43 AM
I wonder if it isn't cudzu. If you've ever smelled the flowers during bloom, they smell like grapes. I know it's a leap to say because it's purple it's a grape type and then cudzu but here in NC we have plenty of cudzu flowering these days.

Iddee
Jan 17th 2011, 12:13 PM
And plenty of Kudzu in Ga., Al., and MS., but no purple honey. WHY?

volunteerk9
Jan 17th 2011, 12:46 PM
Happy B-day sqkcrk!!! Why do you think everything would be gray in NC. I don't get it. :confused: I can be a little blonde at times.

Blue and the Gray I'm betting.

Bheckel169
Jan 17th 2011, 04:55 PM
Well that's why I said "wondered", Iddee. I was hedging my bet.

John67x
Jan 22nd 2011, 06:57 AM
I've heard the secret is huckleberry. I emptied a clear jar of huckleberry jam (pure) and rinsed it out with water and the color was very close to purple honey. From what I read the bees will go after the berries themselves if the skin is split. Anyone else hear this theory?

Hobie
Jan 22nd 2011, 07:20 AM
I'm no expert by any means, but I wouldn't think that juice could make honey the same way nectar does.

Mama Beek
Jan 22nd 2011, 02:25 PM
We've heard the huckleberry theory..... and the elderberry, blackberry, grape, blueberry theories. I'm like Hobie in thinking that the juice and the nectar would produce different things in the hive. My other issue with that whole train of thought is that there are NONE of these things present anywhere near us during the time that we see the purple honey start coming in. And, like Iddee says those things exist in so many places and yet the purple honey does not.

Maybe one of these days someone will figure it out and then our precious purple honey would only be another "normal" thing..... :)

Hobie
Jan 23rd 2011, 08:15 AM
I hope that day never comes. I like a mystery. I really like a mystery on my English muffin in the morning.

John67x
Jan 24th 2011, 12:40 AM
I like that it is mysterious as well. Have never had the opportunity to taste it and didn't know there was such a thing. Next time I have the chance to get some I will try it. I'll keep an eye out for next auction. By the way Hobie, thats what I tell myself when the last muffin hits the floor butter side down...but I think you meant something else.

Hobie
Jan 24th 2011, 05:56 AM
:lol: :lol:

John apparently goes to the "Hobie" school of housekeeping.