PDA

View Full Version : lumber

fatbeeman
Jan 14th 2011, 08:41 PM
got trees want to make hives? I have a woodmizer saw mill can saw those logs into good lumber. I also give hive building classes.
Don
:goodpost: :yahoo:

Hobie
Jan 15th 2011, 07:03 AM
I wish you were closer. I had some trees (cherry and locust) taken down several years ago. Had the tree guys leave the 10' logs in a pile so I could have them cut. Could not find anyone in the area to cut them, so now I have a pile of rotting 10' logs in the yard. What a waste.

brooksbeefarm
Jan 15th 2011, 09:16 AM
For the past 10 yrs. i've been buying #4 white pine from the lumber yard ( they let me pick through) to make my hives and bee equipment. True #4 white pine has alot of knots,but with a tape measure and a little extra time i can make cheap hives with no knots or very few(tight) knots. I rub glue into and around the knots, prime, and paint, you would be surprised how little waste i have.I enjoy making my own hives and equipment,and you would be surprised at some of the ideas you can come up with. :o Jack

G3farms
Jan 15th 2011, 03:11 PM
I have a keen eye for any 1 x pine lumber that is laying around on job sites. packing crates can be cut up into many things. I try to pull all nails and staples but sometimes miss one, thank goodness for a carbide blade and slow feed rate.

LtlWilli
Jun 28th 2011, 04:34 AM
Job sites can be a goldmine in terms of useable lumber. I have gottem everything from planks to plyboard at those places. Even smallish pieces can be put to use.
LtlWilli

Crofter
Jun 28th 2011, 06:37 AM
I cut some band sawn white pine for top covers and was wondering how that finish (unplaned) would be on the inside of hive bodies? Would the bees really plaster it up and the rough surface make it impossible to clean or would it be livable? For the outside surfaces I hear that whitewash might be coming back in style!

I have made a few finger jointed and also lap jointed and assembled some of both styles that were pre fabbed. For me rabbeted and lapped is both easier to make and to assemble. How do the two styles compare for long term life?

jponder
Jun 28th 2011, 09:30 AM
I wish you were closer. I had some trees (cherry and locust) taken down several years ago. Had the tree guys leave the 10' logs in a pile so I could have them cut. Could not find anyone in the area to cut them, so now I have a pile of rotting 10' logs in the yard. What a waste.

how can you tell how close he is to you.

G3farms
Jun 28th 2011, 12:20 PM
If you look on the bottom left of their screen name it will show their location.

Shows you live in Louisiana.

jponder
Jun 28th 2011, 01:36 PM
i was sure i looked. i thought it just said USA.

Charles
Jun 28th 2011, 01:49 PM
fatbeeman has been around for awhile and is fairly well known. He has a good youtube channel with lots of videos... he had a website, I just checked it and it appears to be down now. I think he's from Georgia.

riverrat
Aug 18th 2011, 11:27 AM
yep he be in georgia. Thought I would give this part of the forum a little bump to get it moving

Iddee
Aug 18th 2011, 06:12 PM
His site is back up and running.

http://www.dixiebeesupply.com/Dixiebees ... tos.html#2 (http://www.dixiebeesupply.com/Dixiebeesupply/Photos.html#2)