PDA

View Full Version : thymol dispencer

fatbeeman
Jan 15th 2011, 05:59 PM
I make about 10 frames today with the idea of dispenceing thymol crystals with screen on them so bees don't remove the thymol,as always I am back expermating with bees for mite control.===any thoughts on this??
Don

Bens-Bees
Jan 15th 2011, 11:24 PM
I don't treat for mites so I am not too sure, but it sounds like it could work.

G3farms
Jan 16th 2011, 07:25 AM
I am a little confused Don, I thought you were chem free?!?!

Is thymol not considered a chemical?

Not wanting to make you mad just wanting to learn from you.

fatbeeman
Jan 17th 2011, 10:20 AM
yes G 3

but I have a school and open different approaches to it.
lets say some one don't use small cell,and can use this for putting in menthol to a hive for trachea mites.
its only a frame you do with it you seen fit. as a teacher I teach many methods. for most most my hives never get any thing{ not even powder sugar}
if a student need any info my job is show many different methods,sorry you took it the wrong way.
:mrgreen: :thumbsup: :beg:

G3farms
Jan 17th 2011, 02:02 PM
Did not take it the wrong way at all, hope you did not take it the wrong way from me. I try to have an open mind about most things and want to learn something from everybody. Even the dumbest ol' hill billy (myself) might know something that smart city slicker don't!!

PerryBee
Jan 17th 2011, 02:23 PM
Hey Don
It is refreshing to see openmindedness (is that one word?) when teaching. :goodpost:

None of the "my way or the highway" approach. :club:

Another rung up the ladder with you! :bow:

I like this forum! :mrgreen:

fatbeeman
Jan 18th 2011, 08:01 AM
thanks Perry
I have to have open mind teaching old beekeepers too. some you can tell them some thing,some you can't the know it all"s are the hardest. but even myself doing 50 yrs of bees I learn new thing about the bees every day. after all this is a art form and take time to master.
Don,
:yahoo: :Dancing: :beg:

Lburou
Aug 11th 2013, 11:31 AM
Don, how did this work for you?

Does anyone have real data on this method of treating mites?

Seems like this method of delivery for thymol crystals is desirable, why isn't it more common, or why did it go out of favor?

Is there a generic thymol gel recipe somewhere on the Internet?

Crofter
Aug 11th 2013, 02:11 PM
I hope Don picks up on this with his experience with it. There is some thought that thymol can affect the Nosema C. organism as well as varroa mites. I have seen some very moldy frames come spring and this also responds to thymol.

PerryBee
Aug 11th 2013, 04:18 PM
I don't know if this product is available in the USA. I have never used it because I have always thought the 6 to 8 week time period was long, and at the temps they require I would miss most of the flows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_805566&feature=iv&s rc_vid=_USjxN6hr_k&v=hc-PMh35OH8

The Bee Guy
Aug 11th 2013, 10:13 PM
I usually treat with Formic Acid in about the same manner as the video.
In September I wait until the temperature to fall below 90 degrees F for 6 or 7 days in a row.
I treat for 5 days then remove the strips.
There is a high mortality rate among the old bees but the young bees aren't affected.
My hives were strong going into winter and March 4 of this year they were exploding with bees and I had drones crawling around.
We, the state inspector and I, found no varroa mites but did find signs of hive beetles.