PDA

View Full Version : Venison backstrap, grilled

rast
Jan 27th 2011, 04:53 PM
Soaked the backstrap all day in a pan of water in the fridge.
Cut it into about 1 1/4 sections
Soaked it for about an hour in apple cider,
then added some salt, pepper, fresh garlic and some sugar that was mixed in some warm water, made sure it mixed with the cider. Soaked another hour or more.
Wrapped bacon around it sideways and secured with toothpicks.
Heated grill to about 400 and seared each side. Cut heat down to about 250 and cooked til med rare, not long.

G3farms
Jan 27th 2011, 04:57 PM
What!?!? used sugar instead of honey :confused: :lol: :lol:

Sounds good to me!

fieldsbeeranch
Jan 27th 2011, 06:22 PM
just one question why would you soak any meat in water for any time, next time dont soak the meat in water and see the dif, after all would you buy a $20.00 steak from the store and soak it in water, i hunt a lot and some of the hunters soak the venison and hogs in water, after they stop doing this they thank me, your recipe sounds great and i will try it but without the water soak.

rast
Jan 27th 2011, 07:06 PM
G3, never thought of it, will try it. Just habit.

fieldsbeeranch, first, welcome to the forum. Next, I've done it both ways and my wife likes it better water soaked. It really depends on the hunter and how soon they hung it.

G3farms
Jan 27th 2011, 08:12 PM
fieldsbeeranch welcome to the forum. My wife always soaks wild game in water with a dash of salt over night to get the gamey taste out of it.

Iddee
Jan 27th 2011, 09:58 PM
Soaking in water takes the Game taste out, as said above. Those who like the game taste don't soak it. Those that don't like it, do.

You can save a lot of time by adding a little sage to your recipes. It removes the game taste while cooking.

Ladyleo191
Jan 28th 2011, 04:32 PM
I soak my game meats in buttermilk overnight for the same reason and the buttermilk tends to make it a bit more tender.

G3farms
Jan 28th 2011, 05:43 PM
I like the buttermilk idea, will give that a try next time.

Iddee
Feb 24th 2011, 09:32 AM
Ah ain't wastin' good buttermilk like that. buttermilk is fer drinkin', not wastin'.

brooksbeefarm
Feb 24th 2011, 09:58 AM
Now your talking,fish is good that way to(you know like the fish Iddee catches(carp) Morrel mushrooms dipped in buttermilk and flour deep fried.ummm.brown beans and cornbread (cornbread dipped in a glass of buttermilk) what more could you ask for. :confused: Jack

Mama Beek
Feb 26th 2011, 11:32 AM
A real treat is when you soak that backstrap, or even a roast in half apple cider vinegar and half plum juice (apple or whatever would also work) with garlic, salt, and onion in it overnight. Then take that beautiful hunk of meat and put it in the smoker with some good cherry wood chips to flavor it.

I did that at Thanksgiving with a large roast and smoked it really slow. The soaking made it super tender...vinegar does a great job of tenderizing and flavoring the meat, and the slow smoking just guilds the lily. We had several full grown military men (mostly Airborne and a couple of Rangers) ready to fight for it... lucky for them we made it a large roast!