PDA

View Full Version : Acorn squash with apples

srvfantexasflood
Mar 10th 2011, 06:34 AM
This is something I tried recently. The end result tasted alot like sweet potatoes to me. Still trying to control the blood pressure, so I didn't use any salt. Salt could certainly be used, but it might not taste like sweet potatoes.

1 acorn squash, peeled and cubed
2 apples, not peeled and sliced thin
1/4-1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 T butter or margarine (I used a Fleishman's with Sea Salt, sparingly)
cinnamon
nutmeg
honey to taste
salt to taste

Peel the squash by blanching for 15 minutes in boiling water. Drain boiling water and fill pot with cold water until the squash is comfortable to hold. The squash will then be easy to peel and cube.
Place the cubed squash, sliced apple, and butter in a microwave safe dish covered in plastic wrap. Microwave until squash is tender. This may take 7-8 minutes.
When squash is done, stir in the remaining ingredients. This keeps well for several days.

I understand that English Walnuts are more nutritious than Black Walnuts. Too bad, because I think you can't beat the taste of black walnuts.(and you can find them laying on the ground if the squirrels haven't gotten to them first.)

Mama Beek
Mar 10th 2011, 12:55 PM
those sound so yummy! I love squash. Acorn squash are really good with just butter and some cinnamon on them too.

I was reading about blood pressure issues the other day... mine gives me fits from time to time. Usually I can keep mine under control with a couple of cups of nettles tea a day, but it isn't the tastiest stuff in the world either.... not awful, just not "good". Apparently hibiscus tea will do an even better job than the nettles will and will also protect the kidneys from all sorts of environmental junk. pm me your address and I'll send you a box to try.