PDA

View Full Version : Mead enjoys a Renaissance

srvfantexasflood
May 1st 2011, 07:02 AM
Mead Enjoys a Renaissance is an article on NPR's Weekend Edition. I heard the story today. You can read the article or for a little while, hear it at this link:
http://www.npr.org/2011/05/01/135818740 ... enaissance (http://www.npr.org/2011/05/01/135818740/medieval-no-more-mead-enjoys-a-renaissance)

It seems that a new generation of drinkers have never heard of mead except at Renaissance festivals. I have to admit I had never heard of it before attending a bee club educational day.
We have several mead producers in our local bee club. Through beekeeping I met a young woman who was attempting to start a business making mead with her husband. Anyone out there make mead?

Walt B
May 1st 2011, 07:48 AM
I am fortunate (?) to live within a few miles of a winery. :drinks:

The owners, Ulf and Inga (they ain't from around here), say their best seller is a wine with honey...I guess not technically a "mead", but still good use for honey.

They must not be kidding because they sell T-shirts with the label on them and Inga's auto license plate is "MULSUM".

Walt

Zulu
May 1st 2011, 06:42 PM
As a very active home brewer I can assure you mead is getting lots of attention. All competitions have mead categories.

We have plenty members making good - NO - Great mead. The standing agreement is : if you remember last years mead meeting - you probably weren't there :lol:

The variety is amazing. Will be doing one myself soon.

G3farms
May 1st 2011, 07:16 PM
The standing agreement is : if you remember last years mead meeting - you probably weren't there :lol:

That's pretty funny right there :lol: :lol:

crackerbee
May 1st 2011, 07:44 PM
I've been making wine for about 9 years now,and have heard of mead,but haven't tried any yet.If we manage to get a little surplus honey,the wife and are going to try a batch.

Hog Wild
May 3rd 2011, 08:07 AM
I have been making wine 4 years now and made my first batch using honey last year. It was a 6 gallon batch of peach that is pretty tasty.

I am going to attempt my first Mead this year with hopes that it turns out as good as the peach melomel. Does anyone have a tried & true recipe for a 5 - 6 gallon batch?

Zulu
May 3rd 2011, 01:18 PM
I have been making wine 4 years now and made my first batch using honey last year. It was a 6 gallon batch of peach that is pretty tasty.

I am going to attempt my first Mead this year with hopes that it turns out as good as the peach melomel. Does anyone have a tried & true recipe for a 5 - 6 gallon batch?

I will post some recipes when back from trip. What kind of mead?

You get sack sweet, sweet, off dry, dry. Can also be sparkling or still. Lastly can be mixed with fruit, herbs or hops. I like cyser - cider and honey sparkling like champagne

PerryBee
May 3rd 2011, 03:59 PM
"I like cyser-cider and honey sparkling like champagne"

Never tried that but it sounds like something I'd give a go. (drinking that is) :drinks:

tecumseh
May 4th 2011, 04:25 AM
a snip..
honey sparkling like champagne

tecumseh:
ummmm

Hog Wild
May 4th 2011, 07:31 AM
I have a couple of fruit/honey recipes that mirror the peach I just finished. I currently have a strawberry melomel fermenting that will be racked this weekend; hopefully.

I was looking for a straight honey recipe on the semi sweet side and definately the cysar cider.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Iddee
May 4th 2011, 09:36 AM
As this post seems to be heading for recipes, please post the recipes in the "Products of the Hive" forum.
Thanks

Unless there is enough interest to require a mead forum, than we can do that, too.

Iddee
May 4th 2011, 09:36 AM
I guess I was a bit late.......

Iddee
May 4th 2011, 09:45 AM
Zulu, I made a mead recipe thread under hive products and moved the recipe there. I will move the link there, too.

Just trying to keep things in perspective.
Thanks

Zulu
May 4th 2011, 01:35 PM
Ok great

Can post a bunch more if people interested.

Hopefully get time later to post up the pics of the bee tree

Iddee
May 4th 2011, 03:53 PM
Thanks. Your contributions are much appreciated. Many will read and use the recipes without posting, so by all means, post all you will.

riverrat
May 9th 2011, 06:42 PM
i have made mead in the past. unfortunatly i couldnt pack the mead making equipment on the wagon when I got on. But must say i really enjoyed it.i will post my recipe i got from bullseye bill its simple easy and the way the did it years ago. Hes up to his chin in ren festivals. one of the reasons I have been told that mead is not sold commercially is the fact that the final product will very in taste from batch to batch without consistancy like you have in other liquors its hard to keep a customer base that is loyal to your product. Although I talked to bill recently and he is exploring the options of getting a liscense and start producing mead on a small comercial level

PerryBee
May 10th 2011, 04:47 AM
What is a ren festival? :confused:

Hog Wild
May 10th 2011, 07:34 AM
Perry, I take it Rat is abbreviating the Ren in Renaissance.....