PDA

View Full Version : Near Eastern Beekeeping

Brad Hames
May 4th 2011, 06:42 AM
I spent some time in Afghanistan and Pakistan (way before the current problems. I learned alot of interesting beekeeping techniques from the locals. Since their technology is lacking many had to rely on the basics. I am wondering if anyone out there has had some experiences like I have had and can share.

Iddee
May 4th 2011, 09:55 AM
No, but we will be on pins and needles waiting for your posts on how they do it.
Welcome.......

Brad Hames
May 5th 2011, 07:59 AM
What I found most interesting is that different places used different materials as a hive. For example I witnessed locals using clay to make their hives. Its true that lately areas near Kashmir have begun to use more modern technology as of late, but still the region's weather forces those using frame hives to move from crop to crop. Astonishingly Afghanistan and Pakistan use European bees.

The Ali family whom I spent time with (they are actually in Abbottabad) had relied on two types of hives and needed to store most of them indoors due to the climate.

G3farms
May 8th 2011, 06:12 AM
Would love to see pics of you adventures and the different kinds of hives they were using.

Welcome to the forum :wave: :wave:

tecumseh
Jun 8th 2011, 04:50 AM
kind of sorry I missed this post for a month.

I did meet a US Navy officer (some time back in an airport in New Hampshire) who was deployed to Afganistan and then Iraq and who assignment was to encourage bee keeping as an economic endeavor. It turns out he knew my bee keeping neighbors pretty well and had used information provide by them in his work over there.

I have wondered about the areas 'peoples' attitude towards bee keeping???