PDA

View Full Version : I have found some bees! After some advise??

Purplezebra
Jun 16th 2011, 12:55 PM
Hi there, I am not a bee keeper just a recreational gardener. I was moving a few bits and pieces next to the shed and noticed some bees. They don't seem to be moving and are grouped together (as you can see in the first few pictures). Are they dead, or in a type of hibernation (sorry I know nothing about bees, apart from they are good for the garden). I did notice one bee that was moving on a piece of plastic when I came back with the camera (you can see in last picture, I'm guessing this could be the queen?). Really just wondering if I need to dispose of them if they are dead or leave them be??

Thanks for any help!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3063/5839677659_2f9d5578d6_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3427/5839698481_c3acd7b734_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3285/5840225984_e26b67072e_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5117/5840229266_f7100cb6ac_b.jpg

G3farms
Jun 16th 2011, 02:12 PM
Hard to really tell if they are honeybees or not.

The temps need to be about 55* F before bees will fly, not sure what the weather is where you are at.

Can you get a better pic of one of the bees, say from the top.

Purplezebra
Jun 16th 2011, 03:06 PM
The temperature is currently around 55-60F, we have had a few near 80F days over the past week. It currently night here now so will have to see if I can take a photo tomorrow.

PerryBee
Jun 16th 2011, 04:26 PM
Don't know what happened to my earlier post, I must have messed up. Looks like Bumble Bees to me, especially that last photo. Leave them alone for a day or two and if they haven't moved at that point (especially at the temps you say you are at) they're probably dead.

Buzzen
Jun 16th 2011, 05:00 PM
I can't tell in the first pics, but the last one on the plastic is definitely a bumble bee

Bens-Bees
Jun 16th 2011, 05:16 PM
Definately bumble-bees, if I were you I'd just leave them alone, they won't hurt anything.

G3farms
Jun 16th 2011, 05:50 PM
If they are bumbles AND they are dead, when you rake them out of their hiding spot you should find their nest, it will consist of what looks like waxy looking balls or pots about the size of the end of your pointer finger, some will be filled with pollen and others with brood.

barry42001
Jun 17th 2011, 03:13 AM
Ohh they are bumble bees and your probably happy to see they are not active as up close and personal bubmle bees tend to be somewhat unforgiving lol, G3 is rght if you continue to explore the colny, should find several wax marble sized pods some open some sealed all used for honey--no don't try to eat bumble bee honey--inedible well bitter in any event.

Bens-Bees
Jun 17th 2011, 03:22 AM
When I was a wee lad I unearthed a bumble bee nest they had made in some pine needles under our pine tree out back... I must've been too young to be scared of them because far from running from them, I played with them. I distinctly remember these fuzz-balls that I now assume must have been baby bumble-bees that hadn't emerged from their fuzzy cocoons yet, anyway they were just buzzing around on the ground and I remember playing with those as the adult bumble bees were just flying around... then my parents saw what was going on and they freaked out... but I don't recall having gotten stung at all from that experience. In my experience bumble-bees have been very unwilling to sting and only have stung me when they have gotten trapped in my clothing.

Got another, more recent bumble-bee story... I was out gardening near my old home-hive (now gone) when I watched a honey bee carrying a still alive bumble-bee out of the hive... a moment later I felt the bumble-bee land in my hair. I brushed it off and to my astonishment no sooner had it hit the ground than the honey bee picked it back up and dropped it on my head again. Near as I can tell, that honey bee must've thought I was digging around too close to the hive and wanted to get me stung but didn't think stinging me was worth dieing for... and I have never again thought that honey bees were stupid insects.

PerryBee
Jun 17th 2011, 04:18 AM
Now that is an interesting story Ben! I have never been stung by a bumble (yet).

frankh
Jun 17th 2011, 05:00 AM
I read that bumble bees can sting without dieing afterward, due to the fact that their stinger has no barb. Maybe the bee thought you needed a hat?

Purplezebra
Jun 17th 2011, 12:32 PM
Haha, that's an excellent story! Thanks for all the input on this guys!

Omie
Jun 17th 2011, 12:50 PM
Maybe the honeybee thought your hair was the bumblebee nest and was just trying to put the 'orphan' back where it belonged. lol!