PDA

View Full Version : Warre hive swaming

Debbie
Jul 26th 2011, 07:18 AM
Hi, I am new to this site and bee keeping. I have a warre hive which is doing well but the last couple of evenings I noticed the bees are grouping in a ball outside the hive but only from late afternoon. I thought they may be swamming so I have put out a bait box. Is there anything else I can do...could I get catch them before they fly off...what time of the day do they usually swam??

Thanks
Debbie

Iddee
Jul 26th 2011, 07:25 AM
They are not swarming. They are bearding. There's nothing to worry about. Do a search on bearding and you will find a lot of info. It's just too hot inside so they are sitting on the patio to cool off.

PS. Welcome to the forum. Hope you like it here.

G3farms
Jul 26th 2011, 07:48 AM
Sounds like bearding and nothing to worry about, just shows you have a strong hive.
Some beeks will try to add extra ventilation for them by propping open the top cover just a little with a small stick.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Debbie
Jul 26th 2011, 04:54 PM
Hi, Thanks for the reply, it makes sense, my husband said the day before there were a lot of bees outside and they seemed to be fanning the entrance.

Debbie

Debbie
Jul 30th 2011, 04:25 AM
Yesterday my bees swamed, I spent a long time trying to find them up trees only to find them on the floor a about 6 foot from main hive. I managed to put a box over them and move them. So far they seem to have accepted the new box.

Debbie