PDA

View Full Version : Sparkling Mead

darrenct83
Aug 10th 2011, 08:00 AM
I'm thinking about making a sparkling mead. It would be a light Mead 7-8% ABV fermented with US-05 ale yeast. After fermentation is over I would prime and bottle in beer bottles. Pretty basic.

I know people do this, but I've never heard the reviews. Anyone had some? What are your thoughts. I imagine a lower alcohol content mead such as this would condition faster than a higher ABV mead as well.

mjrice
Aug 10th 2011, 10:01 AM
I haven't made my own yet (first year beek) but I have tasted some (still mead, not carbonated) that I really enjoyed. I have friends who post over at the forums on gotmead.com that can probably help you more.

Zulu
Aug 10th 2011, 11:47 AM
Sure. Have had quite a few nice ones that were sparkling

While i have yet to make one myself, you are probably right on lower alcohol conditioning quicker. Beers certainly follow that trend.

You can also force carbonate and bottle.

efmesch
Aug 10th 2011, 11:58 AM
Hi Darren
You're getting into the tricky parts of fermenting. But put simply, follow the instructions for making beer (there are plenty of beer-maker's books on the market) and at the right time seal your bottles. You absolutely must have a hygrometer to know the sugar (honey) concentration when you start, so that you can control how much alcohol your fermentation will produce. When the fermentation has stopped. Add something like 1/2 teaspoon of honey to each bottle as you seal it. The added honey will restart the fermentation but with no where to go, the CO2 produced will give you the carbonation. Too much honey can produce too much pressure in the bottle and blow the cap or spray out the contents when you open it. Get a good mead recipe for your experimentation. :drinks: Cheers.

darrenct83
Aug 10th 2011, 05:44 PM
I've been brewing beer for a decade, and making wine for a couple years now. So the process is not new to me. I'm just curious as to the tastes of different styles of mead. I have only tasted mead once, but now that I'm a beek I know it is only a matter of time before my honey finds it's way in to one of my fermenting vessels.
I didn't even think about priming my bottles with honey... I was going to use corn sugar like beer. Honey would keep it more pure.

Zulu, how do you force carbonate, and then bottle. Do you just carbonate in a keg then bottle? Don't you lose a lot of the carbonation in the bottle filling process? I have a CO2 tank, regulator, and tap. I haven't had kegs for a while though because I haven't been brewing much. I may consider getting one just for carbonating if I can bottle afterwards though.

Zulu
Aug 10th 2011, 08:30 PM
Darren, yes

I am on iPad tonight so not as easy to type all details, but you carbonate in the keg , for good sparkle use 12-15 psi for a week at about 33 deg. Wash and sanitize the bottles and also freeze.

Then add a pipe to your picnic tap , that fits inside it long enough to reach bottom of your bottles. I think it is 1/4". Or use a Blichmann beer gun.

If you can, add some CO2 into bottles before you fill, to flush out the O2.

Bleed off the keg pressure and Fill very slowly - 2 psi - all the way top and cap immediately.
The cold keeps the CO2 in the liquid.
I hope this helps. Email me if not sure.

Rick