PDA

View Full Version : Ford tractor, 800 series

Charles
Sep 10th 2008, 11:45 AM
Any tips on testing a piston style pump on one of these? I replaced my vane pump and can't get lift on the 3 point now. So far I've replaced the unloader valve o ring and pulled inspected and replaced the pressure valve. now i suspect whoever rebuilt the pump didn't seal it right...

Iddee
Sep 18th 2008, 01:45 PM
Have you bled the pump? It will not pump if there is air in it.

Charles
Sep 19th 2008, 08:45 PM
Hey Bee Catcher, yea I bled the pump with the screw on the side of the pump, thinking now I should have pulled the plug down by the pressure valve too. I'll try more things when I get the new pressure valve in the mail and I can put it all back together...

Iddee
Nov 25th 2008, 10:59 AM
How about an update. Curious to know what happened.

Charles
Nov 26th 2008, 12:31 PM
I put it all back together with the new pressure valve but still no lift, I still suspect it's the pump itself but havn't had a chance to tear into it yet. Funny you should ask though, my wife was just hollering at me yesterday that she wants her garage spot back ;)

I'll update when I get a chance to tear that pump apart...

Iddee
Nov 26th 2008, 06:56 PM
Bleed the pump again. Even Twice. If the pump isn't leaking, I am betting air in the lines.

Iddee
Jul 1st 2009, 09:45 PM
Did you get it going? How about an update.

Charles
Jul 1st 2009, 10:21 PM
She's been working without the lift for awhile now, only using the loader. Just rebuilt the carb and she runs like a top. I've thrown the towel in on the lift problem. I can't seem to get it figured out. Going to give the boy's down at the tractor shop a shot at this one...Weather guy say's 4 days of rain coming in but I'm way past due for a mowing!

Iddee
Jul 1st 2009, 10:31 PM
Open the connection on the pressure side of the pump just a turn or fraction of a turn. Just enough for the fluid to seep out, while the engine is running. I think you will see a bubble of air now and then. Let it seep for 2 or 3 minutes and see if the lift doesn't start rising.

beewildered
Jul 7th 2009, 11:13 PM
Some of those old piston pumps had 2 pipe plugs in the front of the housing, make sure your at the end of the pump (towards the fan) and closest to you. Run a barbed fitting into the threads and some vinyl tubing back to your fill plug. Run it till the air clears out and put the pipe plug back in.

Iddee
Jul 8th 2009, 07:38 AM
Now that is one I will store in my memory bank. Thanks for posting it. It should save about a week's work and worry after changing a pump.

Charles
Jul 9th 2009, 04:38 AM
Thanks for the tip Beewildered, and welcome to the forum.

Iddee
Jul 27th 2009, 08:56 PM
Time for an update, charles...What's happening with the lift?

Charles
Sep 1st 2009, 09:52 AM
Finally got a chance to work on this, I have the 3 point going up and down now, there's still a problem with the remote hydraulics though. They are remotes that sit on top of the cover under the seat, if I move the remote hydraulic lever even a 1/4 inch off center in either direction then the 3 point stops moving. There's a bleed screw on the front of that remote unit that's getting plenty of oil.

I think I may pull the remotes off (I don't use them) and grab a block off plate from the bone yard...

Iddee
Sep 1st 2009, 01:24 PM
I still say O-rings on the spool valve are worn or broken. Replace them and look for a chip out of the inside of the housing where the spool slides.

Charles
Sep 2nd 2009, 07:45 AM
Your probably right iddee, I'll have some time to work on it again Saturday, I'll let you know how it goes...