PDA

View Full Version : Weighing hives

efmesch
Dec 2nd 2011, 08:12 AM
Lately a lot of forum members have been showing concern about the wieght of their hives as they go into winter. Actually, keeping track of the weight of the hive throughout the year is a good means of knowing what's happening in your hive without opening it.
Does anyone here have plan suggestions for good, durable, cheap scales that can be built and left under a hive throughout the year?
Do you ever weigh your hives? How do you do it?

PerryBee
Dec 2nd 2011, 10:44 AM
Good question, I thought I just read on another thread tecumseh saying he posted some pictures about weighing hives with a fish scale or something, weighed the hives by tilting them forward and backward to get an accurate weight.

efmesch
Dec 2nd 2011, 10:58 AM
Tilting can give you an idea of some sort, but to follow what's going on accurately. You need something better, particularly if you want to know whem the honey flow starts, how much nectar is coming in daily and when things are petering out.

PerryBee
Dec 2nd 2011, 01:47 PM
Hey Efmesch:

I just did my bit up here responding to an online survey for a national study being done for beekeepers, long version is about an hour long (commercials) and the abbreviated version (the one I did) was about 1/2 hour for under a 100 hives. I was surprised by one of the questions, asking if I had used or would think of using one of the new innovations out ie: GPS locater in a hive, etc. and an interesting one, a REMOTE hive weighing device, one you would use I assume on a couple of hives in remote areas that would be difficult or time consuming to visit. That could be useful I would think. I haven't heard of such a thing.

Just lay off at home on the couch watching your meter showing the nectar coming in. A lazy man's dream!

Hey, I should tell Iddee and G3 about it. Thinking about it though, they probably already know. :lol:

Zulu
Dec 2nd 2011, 04:53 PM
Perry, I read about that study sometime back, remote measuring will cost though.

I am working on a electro mechanical weighing device :lol:

Still in drawing phase, ( moved from sketches, to dimentional drawing a few weeks ago) but the idea is to use some levers with a digital scale to just lift the side of a hive, as all my hives are on a bench style base, it is designed to work on that , but could easily work on other stands.

I will happily share what I am doing when we go to proto model.....

G3farms
Dec 2nd 2011, 05:22 PM
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/1 ... urs-f.html (http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/11/how-to-bee-hive-scale-weigh-yours-f.html)

something like this??

Zulu
Dec 2nd 2011, 06:48 PM
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/11/how-to-bee-hive-scale-weigh-yours-f.html

something like this??

Not what I have in mind, but the idea is the same.

tecumseh
Dec 5th 2011, 05:22 AM
ef writes;
Tilting can give you an idea of some sort

tecumseh:
this was a low capital approach to fairly closely estimating the stores within a hive with stuff obtained from walmart. the estimate was a bit more accurated that 'of some sort'*

with this basic low capital equipment you needed to repeat the process enough times that you could establish the multiplier necessary to obtain an accurate estimate. for my little endeavor (and the information not included in my pictures) the multiplier for a story and a half hive was 2.4 (meaning you read the fish scale reading, multiply this by 2.4 and then subtract the basic equipment's weight to come to the total weight of bees and stores).

*i obtained this idea from an old article in the ABJ performed by a beekeeper/college physic professor (who kept bees just up the river from where I started keeping bees some 50 years ago). at the time he used a spring type scale and I used a digital scale that was likely more accurate that the original authors scale.

for something like you describe go here..
http://www.beehacker.com/wp/

the same basic idea has been out there awhile (advertised in the abj for decades) although truthfully I have never seen one in operation.