PDA

View Full Version : First Try Candles

Hobie
Dec 19th 2011, 07:05 AM
No photos yet, as they are still in the mold.

I hope they come out okay. I misjudged the amount of wax, and only had enough to fill 7 of 8 cavities. While I was melting more, the wax in the mold shrank, as it will do, and I was slow in getting back to add more wax. Could this cause a problem? Would hate to have the base of a lit candle break and tip over.

Also, I made rather a mess pouring the wax in, and the little "tray" area on the top of the mold is FULL of wax. So essentially all candles are connected together by this rectangle of wax at their bases. My question is... how do I get the candles out with all this extra wax there, without damaging them? How do I clean up the bases to make them look pretty?

My husband made me a wonderful wick holder for the mold, and it worked perfectly.

PerryBee
Dec 19th 2011, 07:27 AM
I have the occasional "shaky handed" pour, nothing major to worry about. I just use a box cutter to separate the pieces and trim up the bases to tidy them up.
That one candle that you did a delayed second pour on may not turn out well. When I do my first pour I usually pour in a little extra so it "overflows" slightly. If you don't, and the wax shrinks (pulls away from the sides slightly) when I go to "top up" the little well around the wick as you will almost always get, the top up wax can sometimes flow down the sides of your already setting up first pour, creating some not so attractive ridges.
Sorry if this doesn't make sense, hard to explain. Next time I do a pour perhaps I can take a couple of pics to explain better (do a bad one and a proper one).

Hobie
Dec 19th 2011, 01:02 PM
That makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, I may have made 7 bad ones and one good! (I poured 7 cavities full, then they cooled/shrank while I melted wax for the last one.) We shall see tonight as I attempt to whittle them out of the mold. Oh well, at least if they come out poorly, I can remelt and try again, and I'll only be out a length of wick.

From the looks of my mold, I had no trouble with pouring until it "overflowed slightly"! (Well, maybe with the "slightly" part.)

Hobie
Dec 20th 2011, 10:10 AM
Well, not too bad! I did have to use the freezer trick to get them out of the mold. One of the tapers has some funny bubbles(?) near the tip and some crud in the wax, despite filtering it twice.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/SLaun/Bees/IMGP6458.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/SLaun/Bees/IMGP6459.jpg

I did find out that I did not misjudge the quantity of wax as badly as I had thought. When I tried to lift the mold off the cardboard/newspaper I was working on, it was stuck fast. Apparently one of my plugs did not seal, and one whole cavity full of wax drained out the bottom and filled up the area under the mold! Anyone have any helpful hints on how to salvage wax that has bits of newspaper and paper towel embedded in it?

PerryBee
Dec 20th 2011, 12:53 PM
Very nice Hobie :thumbsup:

I sometimes get really tiny bubbles, barely noticeable, probably by the way I pour, introducing too much air by pouring from too high maybe. Never bad enough to really notice. The crud, well I use a fairly large aluminum pour pot and I let things settle in it before I start a pour. I watch for any junk working it's way to the "spout" and stop when it gets near. When I have hardly any wax left in the pot I just wipe it out (and the junk with it) with a paper towel. Same thing for any bits of newspaper or paper towel stuck to wax, throw it in the pot, not really a problem for me anyways..

Well done, especially for a first time.

Omie
Dec 20th 2011, 01:46 PM
Wow, those look beautiful!

aromaworks
Dec 20th 2011, 10:34 PM
That is GREAT. I like the design. Thank you for sharing it with us. :)

Mama Beek
Dec 20th 2011, 10:57 PM
those look great Hobie! We would love to try making candles, but so far have just not taken the dive into it.

srvfantexasflood
Dec 21st 2011, 06:07 AM
Very impressive Hobie! You have to start somewhere. Did you expect absolute perfection on your first attempt?
As for the wax that ran onto a newspaper and paper towel, perhaps you could use those as fire starters?

Hobie
Jan 12th 2012, 06:46 AM
My favorite scent is "beeswax."
But I'm rather a purist...!

Zulu
Jan 12th 2012, 07:13 AM
Everyone enjoys the wonderful aromas of scented candles (http://www.australiansoycandles.com.au/stockists.html). They can create feelings of well being, set ambiance, enhance romantic moments, and elicit strong emotions and memories.

Not a bad attempt at spam for a first post