PDA

View Full Version : Reusing old glass jars

Larus
Dec 19th 2011, 12:16 PM
Does anyone know a trick for washing old glass jars in a way that get rids of the smell of whatever used to be in the jar? I have several old pickle jars that I would like to fill up with honey, except I can't get rid of the smell of pickles, no matter how many times I wash them with hot water and dish soap. They look and feel squeaky clean, but the inside still smells like pickles.

Thanks.

Iddee
Dec 19th 2011, 01:01 PM
Are you using Clorox? It and airing is all I know that will remove pickle smell. I haven't found anything to remove pickle smell from the lids.

PerryBee
Dec 19th 2011, 01:01 PM
You could try filling them up with old slum gum or honey that you intend on feeding back to the bees, let them set for a while and then after washing see if they still carry the pickle smell. Depends on how many jars you are talking about I guess. Might not be worth your while.

Zulu
Dec 19th 2011, 01:11 PM
A slurry of Bicarbonate of Soda , wet all the walls , let stand for about an hour and then just fill with water and let stand over night.

Should be little smell after that.

For deep cleaning in my brewery , I use normal Oxyclean with hot tap water, one scoop for 5 gallons , it is an oxidizer and will lift just about anything. It removes the soda smell from Kegs.

While I have not tried Oxyclean on Pickle jars, I just might do so, as I have 2x 1 gallon pickle jars in the shed - kept for bee feeders

Zulu
Dec 20th 2011, 05:14 PM
Ok

Confirming that Oxyclean does work on the jar , no smell at all.

The lid , not so easy, also tried some bleach , which worked better, but not perfect.

riverrat
Jan 15th 2012, 11:50 AM
We gad that same concern. I sold honey to a mexican restraunte that used it in a dessert they bought a gallon a week. We used 2 half gallon pickle jars. After washing there was a faint smell of pickles in the jar but it in no way effected the taste of the honey. The owner tested tasted the honey when she got it to make sure. Not sure if the case would be the same in smaller jars

brooksbeefarm
Jan 15th 2012, 12:37 PM
I sell my quarts in golden harvest glass qt. jars, and if the customer brings it back clean i knock a quarter off their next purchase. We then run them through the dishwasher before we refill them. Jack

srvfantexasflood
Mar 4th 2012, 02:14 PM
Has anyone had any luck with removing rust stains from glass jars? When you buy jelly jars at a garage sale, they seem to always slip the rusty ones in.

G3farms
Mar 4th 2012, 04:10 PM
try using "bar keepers friend" I want guarantee it too work on glass jars but will bring rust stains out of many things. Should be able to find it in the cleaning products around where the Ajax might be, seems like it is in a round yellow container, it is a powder.

G3farms
Mar 4th 2012, 04:32 PM
http://barkeepersfriend.com/using-bar-keepers-friend

here is a link to it, I think you will be pleased if you try it.

rast
Mar 4th 2012, 06:03 PM
Re; rust. If it is on the outside where the lid was, I have a soft wire brush on a bench grinder that I use.

Intheswamp
Mar 4th 2012, 10:34 PM
try using "bar keepers friend" I want guarantee it too work on glass jars but will bring rust stains out of many things. Should be able to find it in the cleaning products around where the Ajax might be, seems like it is in a round yellow container, it is a powder.
...and folks use it to clean the smooth glass-topped stoves, too.

efmesch
Mar 5th 2012, 01:43 AM
If you wash and ready your jars far enough in advance, just leaving them open for a few months should do the job for free. One more rinse to remove the accumulated dust, a nice wipe and you're ready to go. [Of course, rust doesn't evaporate]