PDA

View Full Version : Hard Candy

Slowmodem
Jan 9th 2012, 11:04 AM
My wife got me some Honey Delights hard candy for Christmas. They're made in Canada on Prince Edward Island. Isn't that up around PerryBee's neck of the woods? I wonder where they get their honey?

They're really pretty good. I had never heard of them before. Dried honey is the only listed ingredient. I imagine they could be made at home?

I was just wondering if anyone else had tried them. Or, for all I know, the people that make them might be members of this forum.

If you're curious, they have a website: honibe.com

Iddee
Jan 9th 2012, 11:16 AM
Sounds cool, but at 105.00 per lb, for pure honey, I think I'll pass this time.

Slowmodem
Jan 9th 2012, 11:24 AM
Well, I didn't think a bunch of beekeepers would be interested in buying honey! :lol:

Of course, at this stage of the game, 99 44/100% of things I hear about is new. :o

PerryBee
Jan 9th 2012, 12:50 PM
Hey Greg:

PEI (Canada's smallest province) is just a small(ish) island just off our coast here in Nova Scotia. It is a beautiful place and up until a year or two ago had the world's longest bridge connecting it to New Brunswick (13.9 kilometers) :shock: They have to shut down tall traffic (semis) in high winds!
They produced this candy and won all kinds of awards for innovation and stuff, but up here a small box sells for $10 :o It may be good but I don't know of anyone willing to shell out that kind of $$.

2kooldad
Jan 9th 2012, 02:01 PM
im thinken the william n sanoma crowd will be pleased that this candy is on the market....they dont seem to mind spending large amounts of cash on things that are posh....if its just pure honey how do they get it hard :|

PerryBee
Jan 9th 2012, 02:43 PM
From what I understand they found a way to just completely dehydrate it (honey).

http://www.honibe.com/honibe_honey_drop.html

Slowmodem
Jan 9th 2012, 02:44 PM
im thinken the william n sanoma crowd will be pleased that this candy is on the market....they dont seem to mind spending large amounts of cash on things that are posh....if its just pure honey how do they get it hard :|

Maybe it's some kind of freeze-dried thing. The method is the secret, I suppose.

2kooldad
Jan 9th 2012, 08:22 PM
well now my curiosity is peaked.....hmmmmm....i hate secrets.

Hobie
Jan 10th 2012, 06:44 AM
I think it's cool! If they can come up with a way to successfully sell honey for $105/lb, more power to 'em! It's gotta be better than any of that corn syrup junk out there.

srvfantexasflood
Jan 17th 2012, 08:01 AM
The method is the secret, I suppose.

Do they train the bees to do that? I bet their little wings get tired from all that fanning. :lol:

brooksbeefarm
Jan 17th 2012, 09:02 AM
Sounds kind of like Horehound candy to me. Hey Perry, sounds like candy that wouldn't get in, or stick to your beard. Candy made for Hoary men, check it out. :lol: :lol: Jack
PS. found the word Hoary, while looking up how to spell Horehound. :mrgreen: Never heard it before. :confused:

PerryBee
Jan 17th 2012, 10:42 AM
:rolling: :rotfl:

I guess I qualify :confused:
It said "old, grey, hairy" :( :cry:
(but it also said reveered! :thumbsup: )

brooksbeefarm
Jan 17th 2012, 11:53 AM
Pay back for nailing me on my punctuation. :yahoo: Jack