PDA

View Full Version : Moving bars question

RE Jones
Jan 10th 2012, 12:46 PM
In my four foot TBH, when the queen slacked off on laying eggs, the bees filled almost all of that comb with honey.
Back in October, I had 8 bars of capped brood and honey, 3/4 of it was capped brood. I opened the hive on Sunday and found that on those 8 bars, now it is 1/4 capped brood and the rest is honey.
There are 3 bars of capped honey on the one side. I moved these 3 bars back and installed two empty bars in the hopes that they would build comb on them and she would have a place to lay.
Anything else that I can do?
Robert

Americasbeekeeper
Jan 10th 2012, 04:51 PM
Stimulate brood -- protein supplement or pollen patty and light syrup, believe it or not
Heavy strup they store. Light syrup they use.

RE Jones
Jan 10th 2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks, I am doing both of those things.
I just wanted to make sure that was all that I could do.
Robert

RE Jones
Feb 6th 2012, 01:35 PM
Opened the TBH this morning to check it, guess the bees know what they are doing.

They have moved the honey off the brood bars and she is laying eggs. Also counted three bars with drone and worker capped cells. They went through the pollen patty in three days. Added one more and fed them with 1:1.

I also noticed a lot of yellow and orange pollen coming in.

I had to add three more bars as the two that I put between the brood and honey have comb on them now. They are on bar 20.
Robert

Omie
Feb 6th 2012, 05:05 PM
Make sure the queen always has some empty brood comb to lay in near the edge of the brood nest. If she gets cramped and shut in by honey with no where else to lay, they will start to prepare for swarming and you'll lose half your bees. You can put a bar with empty comb one position in from the outside of the brood area, to give her an immediate place to lay.