PDA

View Full Version : Selling comb with larvae

Barbarian
Jan 17th 2012, 10:05 AM
Recently, I was doing a door-step sale of honey. The customer (a Pakistani ?) asked if I also had any comb with dead larvae for sale. I have never been asked for this before and couldn't help. Communication was difficult and I was slow off the mark. Does anyone know about selling this and what it was for ?

Am I missing some lucrative new market ? I keep thinking about those frames of drone larvae that are removed as part of varroa control. I am sure The Boss will allow me to put some blocks of comb containing drone larvae in her freezer.

Omie
Jan 17th 2012, 10:54 AM
Some cultures eat bee larvae (like a high protein sweet rice, it's considered a delicacy), but I'd think they want the larvae to be very fresh. Or maybe he thinks he could get your dead larvae comb cheap and feed it to chickens? It's a very nutritious snack for poultry.

sqkcrk
Jan 17th 2012, 11:44 AM
Missing a lucrative mkt? Probably not.

Dead larvae? I don't think they really meant that. Once dead, larvae deterierate quickly, rot.

Americasbeekeeper
Jan 17th 2012, 11:55 AM
ABJ ran a traveling story about beekeepers. In Asia they do indeed eat the brood in a rotted or semi-rotted state. It is usually crushed in the comb from Apis cerana with honey. It was described as most pungent but a delicacy in the area, since it does not store well. The practice is more common in Korea, China, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam. India, Pakistan and Bangladesh do not eat brood for religious reasons.

tecumseh
Jan 17th 2012, 04:53 PM
yuck you guys is disgusting.

Barbarian
Jan 19th 2012, 02:52 AM
Yummy Yummy. Delicious !

Makes a change from fried black pudding. Gary has that to look forward to.

gunsmith
Jan 19th 2012, 10:24 AM
Fried black pudding. Had to look that one up. According to Wikipedia, it's something I ain't gonna try.

Tried blood sausage (didn't know what it was at the time) when I was stationed in Germany years ago. Just the one time. :mrgreen:

Same with ripe bee larva.

Iddee
Jan 19th 2012, 12:09 PM
OK, JP, give me the correct spelling for BooDah. It's rice pudding made with fresh pig blood. YUMMY!!

Barbarian
Jan 19th 2012, 04:31 PM
I genuinely like black pudding either boiled or fried. I was going to suggest Gary asks the locals about it when he goes to the Molesworth pub. He could also ask about tripe. It might be a good way to break the ice. Suggest no one tells him about what they are ---- it will spoil the surprise.

Americasbeekeeper
Jan 19th 2012, 06:52 PM
I can imagine. They have put numerous things in front of me on my world travels. Ever tried kagogi or balut?

gunsmith
Jan 19th 2012, 06:54 PM
Kagogi, yes, How about Kimchi?

beesbe
Jan 20th 2012, 10:49 AM
It does not seem to be very appetizing. I agree with tecumseh.

SeedyH
Jan 20th 2012, 02:17 PM
One day on msn last year I saw an article about casu marzu (maggot cheese). I think I'd rather have the dead bee larvae.

Barbarian
Jan 23rd 2012, 01:52 PM
Kimchi..... I think I would try.

Balut (egg) ...... If you have tried it you have my admiration.

Kagogi ........ Sorry, couldn't find it on Wikipedia. Do I really want to know what it is ??

Zulu
Jan 23rd 2012, 01:54 PM
Kagogi = woof

G3farms
Jan 23rd 2012, 06:56 PM
I'm glad I am not a world traveler, could not pack enough food to keep me alive If I had to eat all of that kind of crap. I am just a simple kind of feller for sure.

Marbees
Jan 23rd 2012, 07:48 PM
I'm glad I am not a world traveler, could not pack enough food to keep me alive If I had to eat all of that kind of crap. I am just a simple kind of feller for sure.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
What about some exoticly smoked bacon and tenderloin ;) ;)

G3farms
Jan 23rd 2012, 08:00 PM
now your talkin' friend, whens supper???

d.magnitude
Apr 4th 2012, 02:04 PM
Iddee, are talking 'bout "boudin"? I've been on the lookout for some pig's blood to try and make some.

I had a taste of Balut (an egg cooked w/ a not-totally-but-pretty-well-developed chick/duck inside) when I was in the Philippines. A guy would push a cart down the street in the morning yelling "Balut, Balut"; you just went out a got a few. I had a taste (my father-in-law was offering), but I did not finish. I'm a pretty adventurous eater, and as far I can remember, that's the only food I haven't been able to stomach.

-Dan

Iddee
Apr 4th 2012, 02:28 PM
Yep, We called it blood and rice pudding here when I was growing up. In the New Orleans area they pronounce it boo-dah, but spell it boudin.

jmblakeney
Apr 4th 2012, 02:53 PM
I saw on Andrew Zimmern in Bizzare Foods a couple weeks ago. He was with a family of Korean decent I believe but they were living in California. Anyway, they were frying up Wax moth larvae patties. Eating it like it was salmon patties. Grossed me out.

jmblakeney
Apr 4th 2012, 02:58 PM
Here's a link to Wax moth larvae taco's.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7608797@N06/6063442750/

kebee
Apr 5th 2012, 06:51 AM
Lord, now I am not even hungry for breakfast.

kebee

brooksbeefarm
Apr 5th 2012, 08:12 AM
This thread is like going fishing with some of my Cajun buddies, you have to hide your bait, they think it's lunch.:lol: Jack

Dakine
May 7th 2012, 04:48 PM
I can imagine. They have put numerous things in front of me on my world travels. Ever tried kagogi or balut?
My daughter LOVES balut!