PDA

View Full Version : just picked up a Minneapolis Moline Model Z tractor

riverrat
Feb 19th 2012, 06:43 PM
Picked up an old MM model Z tractor at auction yesterday nice old tractor built in the late 30's hadnt been started in several years. came with 2 new rear tires the auctioneer had mounted before the sale. Tractor has been converted to propane but I found the original Gas tank. Put some propane in the tanks and fired riight off. Had a friend of mines son drive it 20 miles home. I picked up the culivator for it that mounts under the tractor. Sad part is he had all the implements for the tractor. The tractor had been on the farm since new. I didnt have anywhere to keep the other implements. A scraper bought them to sell for scrap.

Iddee
Feb 19th 2012, 06:46 PM
Pic, pics, pics, We got to have pics.

riverrat
Feb 19th 2012, 06:53 PM
Will post some tomorrow nice tractor needs paint mechanically great shape for setting. Trying to deside if I want to put it back to gas or leave it propane

Robo
Feb 19th 2012, 08:24 PM
Sweet! I've always wanted one of the UDLX's with the full cab. Unfortunately, way out of my price range.....

riverrat
Feb 19th 2012, 09:32 PM
the Z was one of the new tractors they made after the twin city. I have seen one UDLX in person would love to have one but like you out of my range. Im trying to put a year on the Z believe its a 37 or 38 going by the color of the tractor being prairie gold 1. in 39 they went to parairy gold 2 the more yellow we know minnies to be this one is closer to an allis orange. The one thing that is missing is the serial plate which only has about a quarter of it left.

PerryBee
Feb 20th 2012, 06:29 AM
What is with picking up these old tractors? I am assuming there is money to be made on 'em? What do you look for when you pick one up, like free, or complete but needing tons of work, or.....? We have lots of old tractors up here for sale, they've been farming in the Annapolis Valley for 100's of years.
Unless you could turn a quick profit, it seems like an expensive collectable! :shock: :mrgreen:

Iddee
Feb 20th 2012, 08:56 AM
""it seems like an expensive collectable!""

You mean like a bee hive?""

Yep, you're right. :D

riverrat
Feb 20th 2012, 09:56 AM
Perry you hit it. Its an expensive hobby. But at the price of scrap more and more are heading to china as scrap iron. Thats our history on that ship and if I can keep a piece of it in place im happy. Being a machinist It amazes me the old machinery that was manufactured years and years ago all done with out computers. Most look for the rare tractors that are hard to find. This one has set for years and we was able to get it to run mechanicallly it needs nothing tractor is complete. hard to find one all complete. The guy I got it from was a hoarder living in filth he had bought 2 new rear tires for the tractor. never put them on got them on came with tractor. He paid more for the tires than I paid for the tractor. they have had 5 auctions selling off his estate and got 1 more to go. he was living in a 2 bedroom house with no glass in the windows only screen doors on the house no electricity no running water only a small propane heater for warmth. had about 2 foot of trash on the floors and house full of cats comming and going out the windows a WW2 vet. No family except a daughter he hadnt seen since she was an infant. she turned up when he passed away and will get it all. Which I find sad real nice guy

PerryBee
Feb 20th 2012, 10:34 AM
I guess if I had extra $ it would be nice. We have lots of them up here. I remember as a kid driving one of those ones with the offset motor on one side and the seat on the other going in between strawberry rows. :mrgreen: I remember another one with the front two tires so close togather it aleays looked like it was ready to tip over. I've always thought they were cool but it never occured to me to start collectin 'em.

Slowmodem
Feb 20th 2012, 10:50 AM
If we only knew then what we know now!

riverrat
Feb 20th 2012, 12:48 PM
here it is a $700 running Minneapolis Moline model Z believe it to be a 1937 or 38

Bsweet
Feb 20th 2012, 06:50 PM
Had one just like it propane and all, loved it. I thought that the propane would be a pain and it was if you ran out of fuel, but I made up a hose so I could hook up a 5 gal bottle to it if need be. The real plus is you can leave fuel in it for months and it will not go bad like gas, and nobody steals propane like they do gas/diesel. Jim

riverrat
Feb 21st 2012, 08:01 PM
finally got the tractor year nailed down. Its a war model 1944 Z surprisingly they made 2600 of these in 1944. A pretty high number considering all the rationing during the War

brooksbeefarm
Feb 21st 2012, 10:49 PM
Be careful Perry, it can get in your blood like beekeeping, but more costly. My wife tells everybody she doesn't know why i buy them and fix them up, because i never sell any of them. :confused: To me it would be like selling one of our children :shock: , well almost. :mrgreen: Jack