PDA

View Full Version : Post Layout Setting

Charles
Mar 3rd 2012, 05:31 PM
Hello all, I've added a new option to your control panel that can be found by going to:

Settings -> General Settings -> (scroll down) Thread Display Options

There are 2 choices here that will change how the forum looks for you. The default setting is horizontal and is with the posters information across the top of the post and looks like this (click the image to see it bigger):

The second (optional) choice is for the posters information to be in a vertical bar on the left side of the post like this (click the image to see it bigger):

You only have to change the settings if you want to, it's not required!

Let me know if anyone has any trouble finding these settings.

Charles

Omie
Mar 3rd 2012, 05:43 PM
Awesome to have a choice- thanks!

PerryBee
Mar 3rd 2012, 05:44 PM
Omie, you seem to have the avatar thing figured out, did you use photobucket ?

Intheswamp
Mar 3rd 2012, 05:50 PM
Ok, I'm trying the vertical setting. The message area seems rather small. On my 19" diagonal display (using Firefox) the poster information column is roughly 3" wide, the message body is only 2" wide, the ad column immediately to the right is 3-3/8" wide, then a 7/8" empty gap, and finally the 3-1/4" sponsor column on the right. But, at the bottom of your message the signature line takes up both the message body column and the ad column.

This is intended as constructive criticism, but it seems to me that the ads included in the message body area are congesting things in the vertical layout.

Ed

Intheswamp
Mar 3rd 2012, 05:58 PM
Switched back to horizontal and it works better for me. Easier for me to read longer lines of text than short ones. The Asian and Chinese Girl Dating ads are showing nicely. :grin:

Ed

Omie
Mar 3rd 2012, 06:00 PM
Ed- The ads only get inserted in the first and last post of each thread. So now with posting this post, you will see the ad has disappeared from your post, making your post text area wider again. I dont think it poses too much of a problem once a thread has several posts. But then, we have a choice now! :)

Intheswamp
Mar 3rd 2012, 06:03 PM
Yelp, that's what I'd figured out. Good to have a choice...but I'm stickin' with horizontal...I think. ;)

Ed

Charles
Mar 3rd 2012, 06:24 PM
Switched back to horizontal and it works better for me. Easier for me to read longer lines of text than short ones. The Asian and Chinese Girl Dating ads are showing nicely. :grin:

Ed

Yea what is up with that! I get those ads too :-)

Glad you guy's like the change!

Zulu
Mar 5th 2012, 09:03 AM
We dont have decent page balance yet.
On the iPad , the screen size is shrunk so that by the time I view the thread less than 1/3 is actually being use on the page, No I don't like the mobile settings either,

The ads should be banners at top or bottom of page IMHO, in fact as we have a full frame on side which is only used partially down a pge, put the ads there.
In fact the ads within the thread really REALLY get to me.

I also agree that too many dead pixels....between frames.H

Having worked with sw developers who only work on a widescreen PC , I have seen this many times....... Charles , just change your screen resolution to 800x600 and see how bad it is.. The RHS frames does not shrink, nor does the advert insert, so you are left with no space for the thread... Many of our members still use older PCs, or like us Techies, we use newest technology, like the iPad.

I will send Idee a PowerPoint with screen captures from both pc and iPad as examples, as well as two other forum ( on vbullitin too) where page balance has been achieved

Meant to be positive crit from a paying member.

Iddee
Mar 5th 2012, 09:12 AM
Zulu, please click on "contact us" button at top of page. Send them to that email address. Then both Charles and I will get them.
Thank You

Charles
Mar 5th 2012, 09:28 AM
We dont have decent page balance yet.
On the iPad , the screen size is shrunk so that by the time I view the thread less than 1/3 is actually being use on the page, No I don't like the mobile settings either,

The ads should be banners at top or bottom of page IMHO, in fact as we have a full frame on side which is only used partially down a pge, put the ads there.
In fact the ads within the thread really REALLY get to me.

I also agree that too many dead pixels....between frames.H

Having worked with sw developers who only work on a widescreen PC , I have seen this many times....... Charles , just change your screen resolution to 800x600 and see how bad it is.. The RHS frames does not shrink, nor does the advert insert, so you are left with no space for the thread... Many of our members still use older PCs, or like us Techies, we use newest technology, like the iPad.

I will send Idee a PowerPoint with screen captures from both pc and iPad as examples, as well as two other forum ( on vbullitin too) where page balance has been achieved

Meant to be positive crit from a paying member.

I know exactly what your saying Zulu, I design things like this for a living and to be honest even 1024x768 is hardly looked at anymore much less 800x600. Did you try the Mobile style as Iddee had suggested? It's the style I use on the iPad and it works great for for smaller screens.

PM me know your thoughts on that style, I tested it and didn't find any bugs but I'd like your opinion. It's located at the bottom of the page on the left hand side.

Zulu
Mar 5th 2012, 09:47 AM
I did try it, no bugs but have always liked to see full websites.

I always started my reading by going to new posts, worked my way down the bee topics and then the " other"

Ipad I see is in fact 1260x764 , I'll bet many still have similar formats.

I" ll send the screen examples anyway

Oh yes one bug.... Clicking "reply to thread" just takes me to the quick reply box

Charles
Mar 5th 2012, 10:54 AM
Strangely enough that is a "by design" bug. If you double click the "reply to thread" button it takes you to the advanced reply window but a single click takes you to the quick reply.