PDA

View Full Version : Another nice thing about crush & strain

Omie
Mar 5th 2012, 02:16 PM
I realized another nice little thing about harvesting my honey using the low tech crush & strain method. I strain my crushed mashed honey/comb mixture through one sieve of fine mesh netting that came with my bucket-spigot 'kit' from the bee supply place. The honey looks clear as it comes out the honey gate but I know it must have all kinds of minute natural bits left in it from my combs, including microscopic bits of pollen, wax, bee parts, propolis, etc.
When I put my own honey in my evening mug of hot tea, I can see hundreds of very very tiny liquid droplets of melted comb wax floating on top. Took me a while to figure out what it was. Almost invisible, but they are there for sure. I like that! I don't see it in industrially produced honey.

Zulu
Mar 5th 2012, 04:56 PM
I put mine under a microscope and it is quite interesting and also scary...... LOL, even found a leg in there , but was so small must have been a mite leg

Don't yet have a camera adapter for my scope, so cannot share yet

Iddee
Mar 5th 2012, 05:02 PM
PLEASE DON"T. Some things I eat, I would just as soon not know about. :eek: :mad: :grin:

PerryBee
Mar 5th 2012, 05:30 PM
PLEASE DON"T. Some things I eat, I would just as soon not know about. :eek: :mad: :grin:

Now for Iddee to say that, it must really be scary! :shock: :lol:

Omie
Mar 5th 2012, 05:41 PM
Iddee- cover your eyes now- :cool:

-I bet pound for pound you'd find more insect parts in a MacDonald's 'happy' meal or a candy bar than in most U.S. honey. (and let's not forget rodent hairs...and worse!) :eek:

One thing's for sure, I've been known to find an occasional insect on my garden vegetables I bring into the house- but ((almost)) all are washed away in the sink. heh heh
At least I'm not eating insecticides! :wink:

Ok look, I was originally talking about a bit of wax in my honey.... not legs, or arms, or toes... :lol:

Iddee
Mar 5th 2012, 05:48 PM
Now, you see, Omie. If you would buy your veggies in the store, how much cleaner they would be??

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Iddee/Temp/lettuce.jpg

Omie
Mar 5th 2012, 05:53 PM
The bag says "Fresh, Washed"....yes he does look fresh and washed to me! lol!

...were they having a Chia pet special?

Marbees
Mar 5th 2012, 10:08 PM
I realized another nice little thing about harvesting my honey using the low tech crush & strain method. I strain my crushed mashed honey/comb mixture through one sieve of fine mesh netting that came with my bucket-spigot 'kit' from the bee supply place. The honey looks clear as it comes out the honey gate but I know it must have all kinds of minute natural bits left in it from my combs, including microscopic bits of pollen, wax, bee parts, propolis, etc.
When I put my own honey in my evening mug of hot tea, I can see hundreds of very very tiny liquid droplets of melted comb wax floating on top. Took me a while to figure out what it was. Almost invisible, but they are there for sure. I like that! I don't see it in industrially produced honey.

Hi Omie,
Your post reminded me of my first harvest in 2010. After extraction I used a rather inapropriate size of wire mesh to strain my honey. Lots of wax and pollen and other goodies ended up in my pails. Loaded my truck and went to meet my friends for some work we had to do that day. They wanted to taste honey, so they did it straight from the pail.:lol:
All 3 of them went WOW, and to this day all 3 of them are my steady customers. They were so excited they tasted REAL honey for the first time in their lives.

efmesch
Mar 6th 2012, 11:00 AM
For the squeemish,:eek: just let the honey sit for a few days. Stuff that doesn't belong there should rise to the top and can be scraped off with a wide spatula. Scrapings can go into a special jar to be re-fed to the bees at the end of one season or the beginning of the next. The honey that exits the gate should be sparkling clear (and still tasty).

PerryBee
Mar 6th 2012, 01:47 PM
Frog legs salad? :shock:

Intheswamp
Mar 6th 2012, 03:48 PM
No Perry. They fry the legs as usual.

But, have you ever wondered what they do with the head?....yelp...Frog Head Salad. Mmmm, mmmm, good!

gunsmith
Mar 12th 2012, 10:35 PM
Frogs head cheese?:grin: ... Anything like hogshead cheese?