PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Queen Cells?

Eddy Honey
Mar 28th 2012, 08:43 PM
The hive I split and notched has made 12 queen cells in the areas I notched. I took 1 frame (4 cells) and started a nuc with 2 frames from another booming hive.

That leaves the original hive with 8 queen cells. The first queen out or the strongest queen has to go and kill 7 others. I know we're dealing with the insect world here but is this too much? Did I coax them into making too many cells? I don't want to get rid of any because with my luck I'll get rid of the one that was going to be a real firecracker!

Should I...start another nuc, leave them, kill some? (Please vote for #2) lol

Iddee
Mar 28th 2012, 08:48 PM
#1 or #2., your choice.

NOT #3.

G3farms
Mar 28th 2012, 08:52 PM
#1 or #2 here also.

#4 start a trap out with one also

jmblakeney
Mar 28th 2012, 08:57 PM
I have read about this clipping the cell wall on other threads as well to entice them to make queen cells at particular spots. Does anyone have a pic of what this looks like when your done clipping the wall?

James

G3farms
Mar 28th 2012, 09:12 PM
There were some pics or a video of it somewhere. From what I remember they just took their hive tool and broke down the bottom edge of the cells.

Gypsi
Mar 28th 2012, 09:18 PM
Wow! Number 1, 2 or 4!

Omie
Mar 28th 2012, 09:54 PM
There are some pix in this site (http://www.mdasplitter.com/) of the cell notching. Look at the pdf's with "On the Spot" in the title. I tried cell notching last year without much success, but I may try it again this year because it seems logical to me. :)

Eddy Honey
Mar 28th 2012, 10:03 PM
All of my notching was done on new comb. I have no proof yet because I am new but I believe with fresh new comb like what I used the bees could have done the job without my notching. I'm thinking that notching is more for getting multiple frames with queen cells so it's easier to make splits rather than the bees making 12 cells on one frame and then having to cut queen cells out and place them on new frames for a split.

Omie
Mar 28th 2012, 10:09 PM
Eddy if I were you I'd make up nucs with as many of those cells as you have the spare resources for, and then just sell the nucs once they get laying.

Eddy Honey
Mar 28th 2012, 10:19 PM
I would like to...but I'm worried about losing my honey crop workforce. Is this a valid concern?
I'm running short on deep frame resources but I have LOTS of medium frames full of brood and nectar.
My wife is really hoping for a honey crop though.

Omie
Mar 29th 2012, 08:19 AM
Maybe you can keep two hives just for honey this year and use some frames from the other hives to help make up the nucs? Nucs will draw comb really fast once the Spring flow gets going, remember.

tecumseh
Apr 3rd 2012, 06:12 AM
a hive that has swarmed will also not produce much of a honey crop.

removing a few frames of bees and brood can be an effective tool for limiting swarming and in this day and time you need to think a year ahead and start rearing replacements for any hive that may die between now and then. of course Omie is quite right any excess you can likely always sell.

Eddy Honey
Apr 9th 2012, 04:21 PM
I took a peek in the experimental nuc only and left the big hive alone. This was Wednesday of last week. I was expecting a Thursday emergence of the queens but realized I started counting the days wrong. My queens probably emerged the Sunday before yesterday. I never allowed for the days it takes from egg to larvae. I saw 3 queen cells instead of 4 that were in there with large holes chewed in the sides of them. I saw the virgin queen, light in color unlike her tiger striped mother, moving about on a frame. There have been several good mating flight days between then and now although today was quite windy.
I'll have another look in a week or so.