PDA

View Full Version : Best Extractor?

DonMcJr
May 30th 2012, 01:58 AM
Being a new beek I have no clue which is best as well as which uncapping knife is best.

I don't think I need an electric extractor but I do want a good one and my plans are to add 2 hives next year for a total of 3 and unless I plan to really start selling Honey after next year I'm gonna just stay at 3 hives.

Money isn't really a factor I just want good stuff I won't have to replace when I jump to 3 hives next year

Thanks!

Iddee
May 30th 2012, 06:05 AM
There are many good ones out there, but I would say Maxant is probably the best. ""American made"", and about 3 generations of machinery making in that family.

Good people, too.

PerryBee
May 30th 2012, 06:10 AM
I'd start off with looking for something used (but this can be hard to find now with so many people discovering bees).
I would try and stick with stainless steel (durability and holds its value extremely well)
While you say now you only want 3 hives ( :rolling: ) most of us know how that turns out! :lol:
Hand crank is OK for a small number of hives, but if there is any chance you may expand in the future, why not get one that can be upgraded to power at a later date?
So, that said, my pick would be:
http://www.maxantindustries.com/extractors.html
The 3100 hand crank.
Of course, dollar figure has not been discussed and this could play a huge part in any decision.
I have both, Maxant and Dadant, both good machines and locally made.

DonMcJr
May 30th 2012, 06:32 AM
9 Frames?! Cool! Why didn't they just make it 10 to match the Super frame number?

That price is fine with me as I was expecting at least $300 maybe more.

I don't think I'll goto more than 3 Hives cause it would interfere with my Food Plot for deer hunting...

But...you never know I live in Farm County and I could expand off my Property...:roll:

DonMcJr
May 30th 2012, 06:36 AM
$850 for adding the power option later... save $105 to get it now...Hmmm...

Is power really needed?

Marbees
May 30th 2012, 06:39 AM
But...you never know I live in Farm County and I could expand off my Property...:roll:

And that's what's gonna happen:lol:

Iddee
May 30th 2012, 06:44 AM
Power will be useful when you get to approx. 10 hives.

DonMcJr
May 30th 2012, 06:59 AM
Ok I don't think I'll get 10 Hives... But between selling the Maple Syrup I make and the Honey...you never know...decisions...decisions!

Hog Wild
May 30th 2012, 07:52 AM
I would suggest the hand crank for now with the option to go live in the future. I have the 9 frame from Brushy Mountain and plan on replacing the hand crank with motor next year. I bolt it to a wooden pallet to keep it from dancing around while crankin'.

Farm, food plots, expanded property lines = more than 3 hives!!! :grin:

CharlieB
May 30th 2012, 11:13 AM
All the keeps I've talk to who started out with a hand crank regretted it and eventually went to power.

riverbee
May 30th 2012, 11:32 AM
donmcjr said:
"Is power really needed?"

after i looked at your video set up......very funny:lol:
electrical power is a good thing! get the power, you won't regret it. i use an uncapping plane vs an uncapping knife.

DonMcJr
May 30th 2012, 12:11 PM
donmcjr said:
"Is power really needed?"

after i looked at your video set up......very funny:lol:
electrical power is a good thing! get the power, you won't regret it. i use an uncapping plane vs an uncapping knife.

LOL ok I guess I'll be lazy and get the power one...:roll:

Slowmodem
May 30th 2012, 12:21 PM
I got the 3100 hand-cranked extractor with the power upgrade. I'll try the crank, but probably put the motor on. I got both because I want to be able to spin the frames no matter what the circumstances. The sad part was they said they were out of caps, and I'd have to call them back in a month, when they got some more in.

Eddy Honey
May 30th 2012, 05:08 PM
I started with 2 nucs last year and was hoping to someday have 3 or 4 hives. Fast forward to 9 hives and counting......:lol:

We used it once so far and man was it worth it.
We got the non-electric uncapping knife from Brushy Mtn and that thing is amazing. No heat or cord to plug in and it cuts like butter.
A bucket with a honey gate and strainer and a tub or tote to uncap into is a plus.
Cleanup was a breeze with hot water

riverbee
May 30th 2012, 08:35 PM
donmcjr said:
"LOL ok I guess I'll be lazy and get the power one...:roll:"

LOL back! and ......:thumbsup:

eddy, good advice and great post!

bamabww
May 31st 2012, 12:00 AM
All the keeps I've talk to who started out with a hand crank regretted it and eventually went to power.

I've just bought the Maxant 3100P because of the advice the local beekeepers gave me similar to what Charles said in his reply. All 6 of them wished they had gotten a powered one after a couple of years using the hand cranked one. The advice was along the line of " go ahead and spend the extra $$ now and you'll not look back and wish you had." In fact, my first time to use it will be this afternoon (Thursday) if all goes as planned.

efmesch
May 31st 2012, 01:15 AM
I've yet to see or hear of a bee hive that limits itself to property lines. Keep your hives on your land, they'll do the searching for floral sources up to as far as they can go.