PDA

View Full Version : How many bees are in there?

srvfantexasflood
Jun 6th 2012, 10:18 AM

These are pictures I took of two of the grandkids. This is an early morning observation of the bees. The oldest, aged 6, is commenting on what he's seeing and telling me and his little brother all he knows about bees. The little stinker knows quite a bit! He was sharing his knowledge of the queen, but wondered if there was a king. Every visit he likes to go out and see what the bees are doing. Little brother is along for the ride. Anything his older brother is doing, he's there too.
Note my IPM system concerning tomato plants.

efmesch
Jun 6th 2012, 10:29 AM
Great heart warming pictures.

Point of interest: It wasn't till about 150 years ago that the Queen was "discovered". Until then, "she" was thought to be "he", the king---after all how could the most important member of the family be anything other than male?

Okay girls, please don't sting me on this one. I was only expressing the then current opinion. Since then we've learned the truth. :think:

riverbee
Jun 6th 2012, 10:30 AM
wonderful photograph! :thumbsup:
seeing this makes me miss my grandkids

pturley
Jun 6th 2012, 11:28 AM
I hope you don't mind, I copied your pic and sent it to my wife so she'll stop nagging me about "the kids not being able to play in the yard".

Two months plus, three hives, no stings and two frames of comb honey harvested and she still wants me to move them to a more rural yard. Dang-it... Mind you, just last night an errant pass between my oldest and I had a soccer ball bouncing off the sides of one of my hives. A few extra recruits came out onto the landing board and buzzed around a bit, but other than that, not much else happened!

I am STILL trying to get her into the bee suit I purchased for her! I once read, or was told I don't recall...

"There are two types of people in this world when you open a beehive. Those that lean back in fear and those that lean in..."

It's an uphill battle, but I am trying to talk her into being one of the latter.

Excellent pictures, thank you for posting!

PerryBee
Jun 6th 2012, 11:32 AM
Paul, are you sure you're not talking about my wife? Sigh. :|

efmesch
Jun 6th 2012, 12:24 PM
It took me about 25 years of hoping to get my wife to visit the bees till I realized it was a lost battle. Besids, we have more important things to disagree about.:oldtimer:

PerryBee
Jun 6th 2012, 01:27 PM
It took me about 25 years of hoping to get my wife to visit the bees till I realized it was a lost battle. Besides, we have more important things to disagree about.:oldtimer:

This is just too funny, my sides hurt! :rotfl:

blueblood
Jun 6th 2012, 05:40 PM
Great pics! You can really tell lil bro is really listening intently to what he has to say...

srvfantexasflood
Jun 6th 2012, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE=pturley;153380]I hope you don't mind, I copied your pic and sent it to my wife so she'll stop nagging me about "the kids not being able to play in the yard".

I do have to warn you that this was several weeks ago, it was early in the morning and the bees were just starting to stir. Since then the hive activity has increased, the population has increased and I know they are finding a nectar source out there. Today, I would not let them set so close to the hive entrance without some protection. But I sure enjoyed their lack of fear.

Gypsi
Jun 6th 2012, 10:51 PM
The kids are cute. My almost 2 year old granddaughter intended investigating those boxes a couple of days ago. No fear. I detoured her and told her they were grandma's "ow-ie bugs". (as differentiated from the mealy worm farm). Some caution is ok, whether a beehive or a fireant hill.

Gypsi

bee stung
Jun 21st 2012, 09:39 PM
I had bees 6 years ,, the wife has been with from the start , the grand kids have been in the hives from the start ,, right now the youngest is 8 they are all ways with in the hives ( 8 live here , ,, 15 all total ) yes they get stung , the younger ones cry then are right back in ,, my wife ,kids and grand kids will not let me give bees up ,, they say the bees relax me more then any thing I do ,, I make wine in the winter ,, and play with my bees in the summer ... they are all our pets ..
hope your wife puts the suit on and see's that they are pets not some thing to fear ..

efmesch
Jun 22nd 2012, 12:48 AM
Bee stung--assuming that your words of encouragement were meant for me, Thanks. Don't get my wife wrong---she "puts up" with the bees, doesn't fear them, and has received her share of stings from bees that have followed me into the house or come into the honey extracting porch. When I need a hand from her (particularly when lifting and pouring extracted honey), she's at my side. But, what can I say, bees just don't "send" her. She doesn't want to work the hives. It's a matter of the differences between our personalities. Instead of getting a double dose of the same thing, we complement each other by our differences. :smile:

Marbees
Jun 22nd 2012, 08:03 AM
:goodpost:

pturley
Jun 22nd 2012, 10:23 AM
It's a matter of the differences between our personalities. Instead of getting a double dose of the same thing, we complement each other by our differences. :smile:

Yeah, I've always told myself that when my temper is boiling over too...

...and sometimes I almost believe it.

Iddee
Jun 22nd 2012, 02:14 PM
I can vouch for that 100%.
Anything inside the house, her territory.

Anything outside the house, my territory

Each lends a hand when needed. Been that way for 44 years and counting.