PDA

View Full Version : Sugar mix.

Dakine
Jun 14th 2012, 10:15 AM
I'm feeding a swarm that I got over 40+ days ago. Looks like there is a queen as there was 2 unopened queen cells when I took a look a few days ago.. They sure eat a lot of sugar water.
Also outside the hive or in a box at the top?? Seems like a LOT of bees at the plate outside the hive and not many going in and out.
What mix is best? A richer one or a straight 1 to 1? I
Thanks Dakine
Sorry I Did post this elsewhere but dadada I lost it.

riverbee
Jun 14th 2012, 10:23 AM
1:1 dakine

tecumseh
Jun 14th 2012, 04:33 PM
1 to 1 or thinner to build brood and/or to pull wax. 2 to 1 or thicker to build stores.

beecrazy101
Jun 17th 2012, 12:46 PM
I feed my bees 1 to 1 for comb building and 2 to 1 to help get surplus for winter. I came across this bee tea which the bees are loving. Ingredients are chamomile tea bags, white sugar, sea salt, my own honey, and cream or tartar to bring the PH down to around 4.5 just like honey. Boil the water then take it off the heat. Throw one chamomile tea bag in for about two minutes to make a light tea. Take out the bag and add the sugar stirring constantly. It will become clear but a little green. Then add a pinch of the sea salt and stir it in. Let the water cool down and add a couple spoons of your own honey and stir in well. Get you some PH test strips and add a little less than a teaspoon of cream of tartar and stir in very well. Use your PH strips to get it close to 4 or 5. After a few batches you will get the hang of it. My bees love it. I also only make two cups of water batch at a time.

tmrschessie
Aug 4th 2012, 07:50 AM
I have been feeding 1 to 1 in a five gallon bucket placed half way between and offset away from my two colonies. I fill the bucket with sticks etc so the bees don't drown. Never had a problem doing this. If you see "other then your bee" line them out and follow...you may get another hive....I use the inside feeders in the colder weather. Tom