PDA

View Full Version : TBH the only one bearding??

RE Jones
Jul 9th 2012, 03:50 PM
I have two established langs, one that I just installed a swarm in and one TBH in my yard. I have another TBH that I moved to my dads' that I can not see at the moment.

In this 95 degree heat that we are having, the TBH is bearding by 200 in the afternoon. The langs are going about business as usual. They do have screened bottom boards. I have a screened bottom board on the TBH that I cracked open this afternoon as they had one of the entrance holes closed off with their bearding.

Is it because the TBH is horizontal and they may not be able to air condition the hive as easily as a lang?

The first pic is the front of the hive where they have one entrance plugged. The other is the back of the hive.
Robert

jim314
Nov 8th 2012, 09:30 PM
Is it because the TBH is horizontal and they may not be able to air condition the hive as easily as a lang?

That's what I think. This is a picture of my TB hive this summer. At the same time this picture was taken, none of the langs were bearding.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4631/tbbearding.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/tbbearding.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Omie
Nov 9th 2012, 03:11 PM
Jim, do you have any upper ventilation holes or cracks at all in that TBH, somewhere that heat can rise and escape, or be pulled out by fanning bees?

jim314
Nov 9th 2012, 05:56 PM
Omie, the last bar has some screened holes in it. I figure that ventilation just isn't as efficient in a TB like the chimney effect of a lang. It was over 100 degrees several days this summer and there was no bearding. This picture was taken when it was about 95, but with 50% humidity. I really believe humidity has an affect. When it was 105 and 17% humidity, no bearding at all. I guess they were all inside trying to cool things off. :)

Gypsi
Nov 9th 2012, 06:28 PM
I'm glad I didn't try a tbh with our heat. But yes, hot plus humid produced a lot more bearding on my langs.

jim314
Nov 9th 2012, 06:50 PM
Gypsi, a TB hive would do fine where you are. I only have one and don't want another. But I'm very glad I have the one just to watch it. The observation window has been a constant form of entertainment and education. When comb is being built like crazy in the TB, I know the same thing is going on in the langs, even though I can't see it.

Big Bear
Nov 10th 2012, 06:59 AM
HTBH's are used a lot in tropical and sub-tropical zones such as Africa. They often refer to them as "honey cows" down there.

Screened bottoms are used to add ventilation sometimes but more often than not, due to a lack of certain resources, the main thing is to make sure they have plenty of room.

If you are using a follower board to control space, maybe consider moving it back a bit to give them more space to move air.
Also, depending on what type of lid you have, you might consider propping the lid up an inch or two with a piece of wood or something and removing the top bar closest to the front end of the hive.